Sign in to follow this  
Carson

Porcelain Slip

I'm back after I long hiatus!  Pottery, I've missed you so.  After careful consideration of my physical abilities I chosen slip casting molds as a start.  I have made molds in the past and am now brushing up on the steps.  I want to start with porcelain slip casting; however, I cannot seem to put my fingers on a supply of porcelain slip here in Palm Springs California.  I looked at one recipe online to make porcelain slip myself and would like guidance on a good recipe for porcelain slip.  Is it hard to make?  If so, maybe someone could point me in a direction to buy porcelain slip here in the Palm Springs area.  I am setting up the studio now and I look forward to getting started.  Thanks in advance.

Carson,

You mention buying  ready-made porcelain slip or mixing your own. A third option is buying a premix powder (which includes deflocculant).

I find it convenient to store and use, and it minimises transport difficulties. As I'm in the UK I cannot offer any advice on brand or supplier.

Regards, Peter

PS You might find this book on mould making of interest.

http://tinyurl.com/mmqb43x

...mainly for its discussion of the plaster build up method. [Which - for a two-part mould with a flat seam - replaces the clay build-up by

casting a plaster build-up. So an extra plaster casting step replaces the construction of a clay build-up. You place the cottle on top of

the plaster build-up, rather than round the clay build-up.

It's only $5 second-hand, so might be worth buying blind.

http://tinyurl.com/kyvc5ul

This needs a picture, but the scanner is fighting the low-res half-tone image in the book:

post-34897-0-57390700-1378387306_thumb.jpg

post-34897-0-57390700-1378387306_thumb.jpg