Plaster Model With Polymer Clay Detail

Hi, I am not sure this is the correct place to ask but I hope someone will know the answer.

In the attached photo there is a plaster model with polymer clay detail attached.

How are they getting the polymer clay to stay on the plaster?

Is this a certain type of clay or plaster?

Is the plaster sealed?

When I try this the polymer clay falls off and will not stick/stay on the plaster core.

Thank you for any ideas or help with this question.

Edward Jones

post-59003-0-82832300-1377105824_thumb.jpg

post-59003-0-82832300-1377105824_thumb.jpg

In that case I would seal the orginal plaster with a universal sealant, then I would glue the hardened polymer clay with some strong universal glue, i would use no more nails, but not sure if it is available in your country. then I would cover the whole thing with some soap or whatever you are going to use as the release and make the mold. T

I Googled Liquid Nails to see if there is a product by that name that I'm not familiar with, but all I found was the construction product.  I'm very familiar with Liquid Nails in a caulk-like tube as used in construction, and I don't recommend it for small jobs.  It's quite messy and clean-up is not easy. It is also too thick for the kind of work shown in your attachment.  I've used it to attach 20 lb wood moldings to cabinetry, but I'd never use it for anything that required small, precision work.  I know nothing about plaster, but does it not work with miracle glues or 1-minute epoxies?  I use the 1- and 5-minute epoxies on everything that I do with ceramics. 

Thanks Isculpt. 

I tested a piece of very dry plaster by first treating it with some coats of release (water and Oil Soap mix). Let that dry for a day. Then tried some craft glue (like Elmer's) and I was really surprised to see it did stick the 2 together well (at least for the little piece I tested). I really did not think the glue would adhere to the polymer clay or "Soaped" plaster but I was wrong.

Wow, I'm surprised that Elmers stuck to a soaped surface, too.  It must be that the surface absorbed a lot of the soap product.  One thing I do know about Elmers (and some other glues, too) is that while it may hold at first, applying some pressure to it will make it let go.  It can fool you into thinking you've got a good bond, but do try to break the bond to test it.  Better you should find out that it's gonna let go while you're testing it than when you're carrying it across a tile floor.  Guess how I know that!!!!

Archived