Low Fire Soda Glazing

steve

Has anyone done any work with low fire soda glazing? I do the majority of my work in the cone 06 range and would like to try soda glazing in my ceramic fiber Raku kiln. Has anyone tried doing this and how successful was it? What is the lowest temperature any one has achieved a successful soda firing? Has anyone done it with paper clay?

Teaching raku for 30 years , have had students try everything. Never had success w/ glazed exterrier but w/ slip and or burnished and adding soda at the end of the firing, letting it vaporize and then reduction, we got some beautiful surfaces, also experimentted w/ florids and soda sprays before putting pots in reduction barrel> great surface...wear repirator, outside use only. Have fun.

Teaching raku for 30 years , have had students try everything. Never had success w/ glazed exterrier but w/ slip and or burnished and adding soda at the end of the firing, letting it vaporize and then reduction, we got some beautiful surfaces, also experimentted w/ florids and soda sprays before putting pots in reduction barrel> great surface...wear repirator, outside use only. Have fun.

I am interested in soda sprays and florids you mentioned. I've had some really nice results spraying ferric chloride (no reduction after) at 1300-1100degrees. but havent tried others. Thanks, Dorie

Archived