What spray nozzle size do you like

I have you been using a .5 mm spray nozzle on a small gravity feed spray gun. It seems a bit small. I have to ball mill my glazes for an hour and run them through a 120 mesh screen to keep it from plugging regularly. But given that, it seems to work fairly well. I'm thinking about drilling it out to .8 mm. What size do you like?

Larry

I have you been using a .5 mm spray nozzle on a small gravity feed spray gun. It seems a bit small. I have to ball mill my glazes for an hour and run them through a 120 mesh screen to keep it from plugging regularly. But given that, it seems to work fairly well. I'm thinking about drilling it out to .8 mm. What size do you like?

Larry

Larry... My detail gun is 1.0. My coverage guns are 1.4 and 1.8. For detail on small pieces like mugs my detail gun is an airbrush. The 3 spray guns came as a kit that was recommended by Steven Hill for about $100. Before that I used a Harbor Freight spray gun with self-contained compressor.

Jim

Jim

That's exactly what I needed. I have started boring out the orifices of my less than $10 (delivered) eBay Chinese knockoff spray guns. They're actually quite well made. If that is not satisfactory, I will upgrade to the Stephen Hill Specials. Where do you get this three for $100 kit?

Thanks

Larry

Jim

That's exactly what I needed. I have started boring out the orifices of my less than $10 (delivered) eBay Chinese knockoff spray guns. They're actually quite well made. If that is not satisfactory, I will upgrade to the Stephen Hill Specials. Where do you get this three for $100 kit?

Thanks

Larry

I thought the price would have gone up by now but it is only $90. Also, The Surface Techniques of Steven Hill is the next best thing to a Hill workshop. I tried to link to the item but it doesn't work, so go to http://www.tcpglobal.com/, scroll down to "Spray Gun Depot", click on "HVLP Primer Spray Gun Set". Let me know if you have a problem finding it.

Jim

Jim

Thanks

Larry

I thought the price would have gone up by now but it is only $90. Also, The Surface Techniques of Steven Hill is the next best thing to a Hill workshop. I tried to link to the item but it doesn't work, so go to http://www.tcpglobal.com/, scroll down to "Spray Gun Depot", click on "HVLP Primer Spray Gun Set". Let me know if you have a problem finding it.

Jim

Thanks Doc for this topic. I just purchased a mini detail spray gun and larger hvlp spray gun at Harbor Freight. (it's 1.5mm) I have been frustrated with the overspray from my Critter spray gun. It's great for overall spraying, but not so good for putting color in a specific place. I attended a Steven Hill workshop a few years ago, and he recommended the tcpglobal guns. but thought I would start with a less expensive model to see if I can get the hang of it. The mini gun is .6mm. Based on the discussion here, it might be too small. I may just take it back. Thanks! Roberta

Jim

Thanks

Larry

Jim

Thanks Doc for this topic. I just purchased a mini detail spray gun and larger hvlp spray gun at Harbor Freight. (it's 1.5mm) I have been frustrated with the overspray from my Critter spray gun. It's great for overall spraying, but not so good for putting color in a specific place. I attended a Steven Hill workshop a few years ago, and he recommended the tcpglobal guns. but thought I would start with a less expensive model to see if I can get the hang of it. The mini gun is .6mm. Based on the discussion here, it might be too small. I may just take it back. Thanks! Roberta

Roberta... Have you tested the .6 gun? If you can adjust the spray to a small circle instead of a fan shape, it may be a great detail gun that you will want to hold on to.

Jim

Jim

Thanks the link to the Stephen Hill Specials. They look good.... so does Surface Techniques of Steven Hil.

My cheapo Chinese guns look amazingly similar to the Stephen Hill Specials. I started by boring out the orifices. That seems to work quite well and still produces a nice round spray pattern. And heck, for less than $10 they are worth it for throwing at the next dog barking too late at nightrolleyes.gif

Larry

Jim

Thanks

Larry

Jim

Roberta... Have you tested the .6 gun? If you can adjust the spray to a small circle instead of a fan shape, it may be a great detail gun that you will want to hold on to.

Jim

No, I haven't. I read this posting and thought perhaps I had made a mistake. Maybe I should try it? The nice thing about Harbor Freight is of course, the price. With a coupon I got both guns for under $25. And like Larry said, I could always throw them at the neighbor's dog! :)src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif"> :)src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif">

Jim

Thanks

Larry

Jim

Jim

No, I haven't. I read this posting and thought perhaps I had made a mistake. Maybe I should try it? The nice thing about Harbor Freight is of course, the price. With a coupon I got both guns for under $25. And like Larry said, I could always throw them at the neighbor's dog! :)src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif"> :)src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif">

Yeah, for that price I'd try it. With that size nozzle it should make a good detail gun, especially if you can adjust the spray down to a circle. Of course I may be wrong and your neighbor will be wondering what in the world a auto painting spay gun is doing in his yard.

Jim

No doubt you guys are on the right trail with the orifice size, but consider the frequent need for back-pressure mixing the particle settlement of glaze in the bottom of the supply can.

This is easily done by massaging the orifice with the thumb while squeezing the trigger. Hope the details didn't offend anyone.

John255

could someone tell me what air compressor goes with this tcp system. i would love to see recommendations and hope to buy a compressor that does not break the bank.....

Spraying glazes doesn't require anything special from a compressor so probably a cheap would be fine. Speaking of cheap, Harbor Freight sells a nice paint sprayer with built in compressor. I used that for about a year for spraying glazes before getting the TCP system and it still works just fine, but I like the TCP guns a little more.

Jim

roberta 12, if you are having trouble with the spray from your critter, try using a file or even an emery board on the end of the tube where the glaze comes out. it makes a difference in the pattern of spray. be gentle and try it as you work with the file so you do not go overboard.

doc, you can put the compressor in a different space and close the door on the noise. i use the compressor inside the garage and run the hose out a window that is only open enough to let the hose out. the hoses come in very long lengths which allows you to put the noise somewhere else.

Archived