Shiny Gold Or Opalescent White Glaze For Electric Kiln

CKA

I am looking for a ^6 gold metalic or white opalescent glaze for some Christmas ornaments I'm making. Amaco's Potters Choice line has a Saturation Gold, and 2 new ones called Light Sepia and Toasted Beige, That look like good possibilities But it's hard to see what they really look like from the little samples you can see online. Has anyone used these? OR Does anyone have a ^6 recipe for what I'm looking for (electric kiln).

I don't know these glazes, but just wanted to recommend another lower firing where

you could apply lustres for opalescent or gold finishes.

The clay I have used for these ornaments is a smooth white stone ware that I bisque fire to ^07 and glaze to ^6. Can I fire it at a lower cone, or do I need to use a low fire clay. I am VERY new at glazing and firing in my own kiln. I have been using the same clay and glazes from the public studio where, I learned, so everything is pretty much the same. I haven't done too much experimenting.

I am looking for a ^6 gold metalic or white opalescent glaze for some Christmas ornaments I'm making. Amaco's Potters Choice line has a Saturation Gold, and 2 new ones called Light Sepia and Toasted Beige, That look like good possibilities But it's hard to see what they really look like from the little samples you can see online. Has anyone used these? OR Does anyone have a ^6 recipe for what I'm looking for (electric kiln).

About two years ago we tried the Saturation Gold, hoping to get some nice gold rims on mugs and bowls. After a few firings, we found we could not get a decent gold color, and certainly not the even gold that they show in their very small picture. Most of the saturation gold turned out black, or blackish, with an occasional goldish streak here and there. It was an interesting effect, but not the GOLD we were looking for.

We use white stoneware fired to ^6 in an electric kiln. We also tried firing higher and lower, to no avail. I don’t know what the secret is, perhaps you would have better luck.

Amaco makes another product, their "Rub 'n buff" Finishes that you can apply after firing. I tried the Antique gold on a pot rim, and it looked pretty good in low light, but in normal daylight it looked kinda cheap and "out of place" with the smoke finish of the pot. Holds up well, and could be sealed under polyurethane or another fixative. One of the other colors might work better.

About two years ago we tried the Saturation Gold, hoping to get some nice gold rims on mugs and bowls. After a few firings, we found we could not get a decent gold color, and certainly not the even gold that they show in their very small picture. Most of the saturation gold turned out black, or blackish, with an occasional goldish streak here and there. It was an interesting effect, but not the GOLD we were looking for.

We use white stoneware fired to ^6 in an electric kiln. We also tried firing higher and lower, to no avail. I don’t know what the secret is, perhaps you would have better luck.

Amaco makes another product, their "Rub 'n buff" Finishes that you can apply after firing. I tried the Antique gold on a pot rim, and it looked pretty good in low light, but in normal daylight it looked kinda cheap and "out of place" with the smoke finish of the pot. Holds up well, and could be sealed under polyurethane or another fixative. One of the other colors might work better.

Thanks,

I don't have time to "Experiment" alot, so I appreciate your input. I won't spend the money or the time trying the gold. for this fall's art fair.

Guest master_mister17

hello frenz..i have a gold or bronze glaze..u can watching at my gallery for the sample glaze product...the glaze only use 5 material only n the firing is 1200 dgree..ok...

hello frenz..i have a gold or bronze glaze..u can watching at my gallery for the sample glaze product...the glaze only use 5 material only n the firing is 1200 dgree..ok...

I looked at your work on your profile page, very nice, Can you post the recipe for your bronze glaze? Do you fire it in an electric or gas kiln? I have an electric.

What kind of clay do you use?

Guest master_mister17

for this glaze..u can use electric or gas firing..because this glaze is very simple......but u must carefully to aplly this glaze..n u can't apply this glaze too.ok tq much..ok

"The clay I have used for these ornaments is a smooth white stone ware that I bisque fire to ^07 and glaze to ^6.

Can I fire it at a lower cone, or do I need to use a low fire clay?"

You can re-fire at lower temperatures as often as you need to.

The potters who do complex post high fire painting often fire between each color application to make sure everything stays clean & separate.

You can apply the real gold lustre and get a true gold result ... With the current price of gold though this will be expensive.

Some good results can be obtained using the acrylic paints sold at Michaels in small bottles ... Folk art paints or Gleams ...

They are usually at the back of the store and there are several gold colors so test to see which one you like ... there are also sparkling ones.

I used the plain as a base then used the sparkles as a second coat. Gives Holiday Ornaments some eye catching dazzle.

These are NOT fired on colors so cannot be used on anything that needs to be washed or will be eaten on.

• 5 weeks later...

for this glaze..u can use electric or gas firing..because this glaze is very simple......but u must carefully to aplly this glaze..n u can't apply this glaze too.ok tq much..ok

Hi, MM: I really like the images showcasing ur glazes--is there someplace that u have ur formulae posted so that i can look them up and make them myself?

I have found Amoco's Saturation Gold works well as the first of a two layer combination of glazes. Use it almost like an under glaze, with the second glaze being somewhat translucent, to allow the gold to filter through and be seen. This is a glaze that you need to experiment with. Using it alone at ^6 oxidation in an electric kiln will not get good results.

Archived