QotW: Do you consider yourself "tool handy"?

Over the years, I have found that if you give me a manual that I can pretty much handle anything. I have rebuilt an engine with my Dad years ago, dropped a used engine in my old Dodge Dart years ago with my Dad and done quite a lot of other things with him. Then when necessity forced me to, I replaced clutches, alternators, starter motors and other things on cars. Expand to doing wiring in the shop, wiring in the house, wiring other houses, and then the work on the kilns. I became pretty handy. Even now, building my second computer after rebuilding the first twice when motherboard or processors went out and now building my 3rd full tower. Really hard to realize that in the end, with some sort of manual, understanding tools, and taking everything one step at a time you can work miracles.

QotW: Do you consider yourself "tool handy"?

best,

Pres

I am happy to say that I'm beyond handy with tools. if I do not have the tool that I need for a particular project and have the necessary material on hand, I will build or fabricate what I need.

I own a patent on a tool that I fabricated for a specific job to facilitate floor scraping. When it comes to pottery, I have built an extruder along with multiple carving tools, modified my CI wheel, and fabricated a tool for Old Lady to replace one that she wore out and could not get a replacement from the manufacturer. I also built my own Raku kiln as well as multiple banding wheels from old ceiling fans. I'm still working with thoughts on how to power them for possible use as turntables for glaze spraying.

I could go on and on about all I've made or modified for various needs. Tool making seems to be part of my DNA...

Edited by JohnnyK
Added info

I wouldn't consider myself extremely tool handy but I know more that most women.  I have spent my life handing tools to my dad then my husband,  I could change a tire and the oil and check the antifreeze.   I am much better with wood,  I draw up plans and buy the supplies for any furniture I want built.  I do all the sanding, staining and varnish on wood work projects.  I did all of the interior finishes on our new house, even remuding all of the corners.  You have to know how to tile to live my house,  my prized tool is a commercial tile saw.  I had to learn to use a lot of different piece of equipment  in sculpture classes including welding.   In one class I had to build a table that showed movement and time passing..   My husband is always bragging  on the clay extruder I  made and continue to modify.   I don,t work with electricity a lot,  my dad was always messing with the old knob and tube wiring in our house.   You  never could tell when you might get a bad shock.   I have never gotten over the fear of it,  I always have someone else rewire my kilns.   Denice

Yes very handle with tools-made a few and love using them.. I come from a time when knowing how to do stuff mattered.. Problem solving with mechanical ability makes for a good potter.

I played with tools at a young age as well. Having thios skill set m,akes for being a potter much easier

My dad was also the guy that if he couldn’t fix something, it probably couldn’t be fixed. That said, he was not the most patient teacher of small children. Or anyone else. I wasn’t encouraged to hang around when he was working on anything. But even just knowing that certain repairs were possible did give me the sense that most things can be figured out. I feel pretty confident in doing the small odd jobs around the house, although big carpentry projects aren’t really my forte. I can cut a 2x4, but I’m not building furniture. And I know how to change oil and tires, but if I can farm it out I will. Time is a factor!

Generally tool handy, yep.

...have been thinking about this week's QOW; several thoughts come to mind.

The Cal Poly San Luis Obispo motto, "Learn by Doing" *

A young software engineer at the last shop** I worked in had become interested in cycling.
They asked for some assistance with an adjustment. There was significant hesitation associated with loosening a threaded fastener - which way? Unless there's a specific reason for a left hand thread, all are right hand; it's standard. Familiarity comes with practice, however.

An Exit Operator at the steel mill had no option but using the SCADA station (a modern computer) at the exit, for the communication cable to the PLC terminal (an older computer) had been severed, and hence, it was time to learn how to use a pointing device - the dreaded mouse! Likely that many can recall first learning to run a mouse (especially those of us of a certain age, having first driven a mouse when well into adulthood...), heh. After reviewing the necessary operations of the several Exit screens, they waved me away. I waited around the corner, and, sure enough, was called back for "...what now?" for they'd run the mouse to the edge of the table, see?

Sharp, very capable folks, both of them; they just hadn't had opportunity to learn tool skills that many take for granted.

My own adventures in hand tools, power tools, machine tools, software tools, imaging tools, kitchen tools, sewing tools, oooh, and lots more - another time.

*There's something to that, even though some are much more comfortable learning the language, digesting the theory, and watching others before EVER trying "it" - the doing is a so important step...
**Where one works, to me, is a "shop." Any road, I'm retired from "work"... 

On 9/24/2024 at 12:04 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

My dad was also the guy that if he couldn’t fix something, it probably couldn’t be fixed.

I'm also a member of this club. Added to that, my dad wanted a son and got me instead and decided to rectify the situation by simply treating me, including me, and teaching me, as tho I was a boy (versus the norm of not teaching girls "boy stuff" in the '50's). So I learned a lot & it has served me well all my life, including facility with many types of tools, making tools, and until I no longer "had to" do it all myself, using all manner of tools. For clay, however, my best tools are chopsticks and repurposed household thingies...whatever else I need I buy from our great suppliers and keep my life simple.