Any Advice for a Beginner in High School?

Hello, I'm Stick!

I am getting into pottery for a year-long school project, and can probably use whatever advice/information you'd like to share! My knowledge is very limited as far as terms and such go, but I took a 6 week beginner class, so I sort of know what I'm doing. Any help is appreciated! So far I have worked with 153 clay only, and no more than 4 lbs worth. ❤️ 

• Hulk changed the title to Any Advice for a Beginner in High School?

For skills*, watching others can be helpful.
As one's own skills progress, what is "seen" evolves?
Note the variation in grips (hand positions), for instance...

For reading:
  this Forum has years of archived threads on many topics**
  Tony Hansen's website digitalfire.com is a treasure (imo)
  your school and community libraries might have some books

Get a good look at all the wares in the Studio.
Note the progression as the weeks fly by.
When you can, get a look at others' pots in stores, museums, galleries...

Here's some threads where others have listed some of their favorite video clips:

Your Favorite Pottery Videos? - Educational Approaches and Resources - Ceramic Arts Daily Community
Free Video Recommendations for Potters - Ceramic Events of Interest - Ceramic Arts Daily Community

*throwing, building, glazing, brushing...
**note: the internal search returns "open" threads only.
To get "archived" (closed) threads, try searching from a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari...)  where you include your search string (words/phrase) and ceramicartsdaily.org

Edited by Hulk
+ one of

I will say that pottery TikTok can be a lot of fun, but remember that some creators there are also new to ceramics, and double check the info you find there. And on any internet place, really. Pottery is a skill that takes a long time to be able to do well, even if you can make some things right off the bat. There’s lots of ways to mess it up, but just be persistent! It’s a lot of fun.

If you see yourself eventually going into a college/university ceramics program -- the best thing you can do to develop a rounded ceramics background is to obtain a mentor.  Offer to do jobs in a local pottery studio for no remuneration in return for that potter's mentorship.  Your reward will be the knowledge you gain through that experience.    Then talk to your art teacher about getting extra credit for work experience.   

On 9/18/2024 at 2:05 AM, Min said:

Hi Stick and welcome to the forum.

I think you need to be a bit more specific in what help you are asking for. Ceramics is a huge field so it’s hard for us to answer when we don’t know what your question is.

I'll get back to you on that. ;) 

On 9/18/2024 at 8:34 AM, Pres said:

@Just-A-Stick, Are you interested in help on the wheel, or are you interested in handbuilding projects?

best,

Pres

Help on the wheel so far... not a lot of interest in hand building. 

On 9/18/2024 at 9:43 AM, C.Banks said:

Thank you! I'll be sure to watch when I have time.

On 9/18/2024 at 11:14 AM, Hulk said:

For skills*, watching others can be helpful.
As one's own skills progress, what is "seen" evolves?
Note the variation in grips (hand positions), for instance...

For reading:
  this Forum has years of archived threads on many topics**
  Tony Hansen's website digitalfire.com is a treasure (imo)
  your school and community libraries might have some books

Get a good look at all the wares in the Studio.
Note the progression as the weeks fly by.
When you can, get a look at others' pots in stores, museums, galleries...

Here's some threads where others have listed some of their favorite video clips:

Your Favorite Pottery Videos? - Educational Approaches and Resources - Ceramic Arts Daily Community
Free Video Recommendations for Potters - Ceramic Events of Interest - Ceramic Arts Daily Community

*throwing, building, glazing, brushing...
**note: the internal search returns "open" threads only.
To get "archived" (closed) threads, try searching from a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari...)  where you include your search string (words/phrase) and ceramicartsdaily.org

Thank you so much! I'll check that out when I have time.

10 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I will say that pottery TikTok can be a lot of fun, but remember that some creators there are also new to ceramics, and double check the info you find there. And on any internet place, really. Pottery is a skill that takes a long time to be able to do well, even if you can make some things right off the bat. There’s lots of ways to mess it up, but just be persistent! It’s a lot of fun.

Okay, Thank you! :D 

7 hours ago, Marilyn T said:

If you see yourself eventually going into a college/university ceramics program -- the best thing you can do to develop a rounded ceramics background is to obtain a mentor.  Offer to do jobs in a local pottery studio for no remuneration in return for that potter's mentorship.  Your reward will be the knowledge you gain through that experience.    Then talk to your art teacher about getting extra credit for work experience.   

I'm considering not going to college, and I don't currently have an art teacher, but I'll check it out. ❤️