Any tutorials on this "stencil + rolling pin" technique?

I really like works of Gabrielle Renoir (https://www.instagram.com/gabriellelenoir/?hl=ru), she does this inprinting on clay by pushing stencils with a rolling pin. I try to do the same and it doesn't look so nice - I don't get such even edges and it's hard to put out the paper without damaging the surface. Maybe my clay is too wet. I see that they are a lot of nuances.

Does this technique has a special name, are there any tutorials on it? Maybe someone has experience in it. I would appreciate any tips.

Screenshot_43.jpg

Screenshot_42.jpg

Screenshot_41.jpg

Edited by pojkoo

It could be thickness of the paper you are using that is part of the problem, how thick is the paper you have tried? Manila folders or tar roofing paper are both fairly thick and leave a good impression. Also, if your clay is too damp try either leaving the slab dry out a bit before rolling the paper onto it or try dusting it with cornstarch / cornflour.

22 minutes ago, Min said:

It could be thickness of the paper you are using that is part of the problem, how thick is the paper you have tried? Manila folders or tar roofing paper are both fairly thick and leave a good impression. Also, if your clay is too damp try either leaving the slab dry out a bit before rolling the paper onto it or try dusting it with cornstarch / cornflour.

I'm using this laminated cardboard paper for kids, it's not so thick but thicker then usual printing paper, of course. I guess it's not thick enough. But from what I see they are the same as Gabrielle's stencils on first two pictures, but maybe I'm wrong because her imprintings are way deeper. And especially on the last picture with white stencils - those are very thin.

There is another photo of her stencils (https://www.instagram.com/p/CnkS4STruOU/?hl=ru&img_index=1)

Screenshot_44.jpg

Screenshot_45.jpg

Edited by pojkoo

16 hours ago, pojkoo said:

I really like works of Gabrielle Renoir (https://www.instagram.com/gabriellelenoir/?hl=ru), she does this inprinting on clay by pushing stencils with a rolling pin. I try to do the same and it doesn't look so nice - I don't get such even edges and it's hard to put out the paper without damaging the surface. Maybe my clay is too wet. I see that they are a lot of nuances.

I wonder if a more water resistant/repellent material would help. (Like both of Min's suggestions.)

Materials used in stenciling might also work, and translucency/transparency could help when cutting out the patterns. But that would probably mean art-shop prices.
https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/pottery-making-illustrated/pottery-making-illustrated-article/Stenciling-on-Clay#
Stenciling on Clay

PS A recent article on stencils which are very finely cut. Shows just how far people can push things.
https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/article/how-to-use-vinyl-stencils-and-underglaze-for-beautiful-surfaces
How to Use Vinyl Stencils and Underglaze for Beautiful Surfaces
claycanvas-duvall-12-0924pmi.jpg?sfvrsn=

Edited by PeterH

@pojkoo as you mentioned, it really does take a bit of trial and error.  Thank goodness clay can be reclaimed and reused.  I have noticed that different clays respond differently to the materials you are using.  I started a small project with some thin newsprint and slip.  The newsprint was too thin and the slip bled underneath.  I switched to copy paper and had success.  Good luck.

If you are doing larger shapes for embossing like that, you can use craft foam/EVA foam. It’s got softer edges. EVA comes in different thicknesses, and can be had from Amazon fairly easily. 3mm thickness or less is what you’re looking for. 

Looking at the first artist you cited though, she also appears to be a printmaker, and has a print on some kind of rag/long fibre paper in her feed. Knowing that potters tend to use materials they already have on hand, she might be using something like that to get the softer imprints.

I went to see if I could find some video links, and I found this Live on YouTube by Jessica Putnam-Phillips. It talks about using stencils for both underglaze and imprinted texture, and the artist suggests using a lightweight watercolour paper. When I was scrubbing quickly through the video, I noticed someone in the live comment feed had asked if she used plastic wrap as a release for the stencils. So that’s an idea too, if you aren’t working with underglazes at the same time. 

On 9/10/2024 at 6:24 PM, Roberta12 said:

@pojkoo as you mentioned, it really does take a bit of trial and error.  Thank goodness clay can be reclaimed and reused.  I have noticed that different clays respond differently to the materials you are using.  I started a small project with some thin newsprint and slip.  The newsprint was too thin and the slip bled underneath.  I switched to copy paper and had success.  Good luck.

you mean copy paper like ordinary paper that are used in printers? 

And thank you everyone for your answers, I'll try to figure it out.

On 9/11/2024 at 12:46 AM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I went to see if I could find some video links, and I found this Live on YouTube by Jessica Putnam-Phillips. It talks about using stencils for both underglaze and imprinted texture, and the artist suggests using a lightweight watercolour paper. When I was scrubbing quickly through the video, I noticed someone in the live comment feed had asked if she used plastic wrap as a release for the stencils. So that’s an idea too, if you aren’t working with underglazes at the same time. 

thank you, I think using watercolour paper is a good idea because my cardboard paper does get wet in clay and bends and so on, so it's good to use more resistent materials.

I also asked Gabrielle herself and she just said that she uses paper or cardbord.

Edited by pojkoo