Islamic Plaque Project

TracieA

Hi Guys

I have done a lot of research but would like to hear some input from some potters. I am pretty new to all this. I am making a ceramic tile plaque and have a lovely deep blue glaze for main background colour but for the detailed design on top I have plumped for enamels by Humbrol as I was unable to find anything else that would be as vibrant to paint on the glazed surface. I also couldn't seem to find any particular ceramic enamels after lots of searching. Any other ideas? I have contacted Pottery Crafts & Potclays in this regard x

post-2623-12837253966944_thumb.jpg

post-2623-12837253966944_thumb.jpg

I would suggest using Axner's line of overglazes.

Go here for a description:

http://www.axner.com/axner-glaze-overglaze-pens.aspx

Go here for examples:

http://www.jcrhodes.com/Mt._Pleasant_Studio_-_Craig_Rhodes/Mandalas.html

I apply the overglaze with an Airpen.

http://www.baileypottery.com/studioaccessories/airpen.htm

Hope this helps

Craig

Hi Guys

I have done a lot of research but would like to hear some input from some potters. I am pretty new to all this. I am making a ceramic tile plaque and have a lovely deep blue glaze for main background colour but for the detailed design on top I have plumped for enamels by Humbrol as I was unable to find anything else that would be as vibrant to paint on the glazed surface. I also couldn't seem to find any particular ceramic enamels after lots of searching. Any other ideas? I have contacted Pottery Crafts & Potclays in this regard x

Hi Guys

Hi, i did a similar project at College about Islamic ceramics too. I used an red earthenware clay, covered with white slip then used commercial underglazes for colour then covered with a clear glaze. You can also use overglaze lustres to really add some wow factor (third firing). Coloured slips could be used instead of the underglazes and then finish with a clear glaze. I remember also doing some scraffito/incised designs through the white slip to reveal the red earthenware clay underneath.

These tiles used tin-glaze AKA Majolica. You could use amaco's overglaze decorating colors or try mixing your own. Add copper for the turquoise. Cobalt for the light blues. For the rich deep blues, eliminate the tin in the base (or zircopax, if that is what you are using). Linda Arbuckle has a great handout for Majolica That will be of great assistance to you. You might also google the technique "Zalik" where tiles were cut to fit.

Marcia

Archived