Study Abroad In The Uk

Best place to study Abroad  

5 members have voted

1. 1. If you were going to Study Abroad, where would you go?

• Australia
    • Asia
    • UK
    • South America
    • Canada
    • All the above!
  2. 2. Why?

• They have better art schools
    • Ive just always wanted to go...
    • It is cheaper than the others.
    • The people are AWESOME
    • They speak English
    • I just want to try something new.

I'm looking for information on Study Abroad programs. I'm an art student and it's part of my BFA program to get 3-6 credits of studio art in another country. I have my heart set on London, or some other place in the UK, but I'm still trying to find the best place possible.

If you have any experience or insight into specific schools and their stellar ceramic art programs, please let me know. I'd like to go this summer (2011), so I have plenty of time to choose a program, but that deadline is steadily approaching before I either MUST choose a program or decide not to go.

Thank you so much for your time!

~M :P

Greetings and welcome aboard:

Students are the future of the craft and especially students who aspire to teach; more power to you. I think if I had created the poll I might have added another category and that might have been either "other" or "none-of-the-above." The problem I have with polls are that they are so limited, (I always like comments blocks). There are many areas of the world where pottery is a highly developed craft besides the ones you listed. I have spent a lot of time in Asia and yes, they have marvellous pottery and it can be categorized as one type. I enjoy different techniques and over all I like anthropology. I also like other ethnic potters, one of my absolute favorites is the earlier San Ildefonso, the new stuff is kind of klunky in my opinion, I also like Mexican pottery and Mexican potters (of which I know a number having spent a lot of time in Mexico) from the pit-firing potters in Concordia and Peto to the Autonomous University of Guadalajara. I'd like to spend more time in other parts of Europe like Spain and Greece, the Balkans, the Middle East and the Caucasas. We have some outstanding educators on this site and I hope that they chime in with their suggestions, I'm sure that we both may learn from their favorites.

Best regards,

Charles

There are so many schools and if you check with the school your at there maybe a program already set up as an exchange program. My school has opportunities for students to travel abroad to just about anywhere in the world. I am sure the school you are at also has a great exchange program. I would go to China! When I was a student I went to Australia and New Zealand and they were both life changing experiences! Any opportunity to travel will expand your knowledge, my main suggestion is do it now while you have a university to help support you, even if it is just a little support.

I did have to edit your post because we can't have individuals trying to raise money through this site. Sorry.

Good luck with your search.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm trying to find more specific information... there is just too much crap online. Everytime I find something good, i'm hesitant because anytime something sounds too good to be true, it usually is, right? I guess I'm just looking for people with experience actually going through a specific study abroad program and I'd like to hear the details.

The sad thing about my school is their BFA program gives you the option of satisfying a service and learning requirement with 3 credits of studio art in an accredited university that is not in the USA, however, they do not have a specific program for students; nor can I go to the Study Abroad office on my campus and say, "I'd like a program in studio art. I'm in ceramics." It just doesn't exist. I've just been getting led around in circles... so I'm forced to find my own program and hope that the art department approves it. It's really quite frustrating.

Guest Jessica Knapp

Bellonart,

I can recommend a school in Buckinghamshire,

Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College

http://www.bcuc.ac.uk/

and of course the Royal College of Art http://www.rca.ac.uk/.

Professors I had in school have taught art at Camberwell College, which is part of the University of the Arts London www.camberwell.arts.ac.uk/

Check their websites to see if the programs would help you in making progress with your own research and the type of work you are interested in doing.

Hope this is helpful.

Jessica

I'm looking for information on Study Abroad programs. I'm an art student and it's part of my BFA program to get 3-6 credits of studio art in another country. I have my heart set on London, or some other place in the UK, but I'm still trying to find the best place possible.

If you have any experience or insight into specific schools and their stellar ceramic art programs, please let me know. I'd like to go this summer (2011), so I have plenty of time to choose a program, but that deadline is steadily approaching before I either MUST choose a program or decide not to go.

Guest JBaymore

The sad thing about my school is their BFA program gives you the option of satisfying a service and learning requirement with 3 credits of studio art in an accredited university that is not in the USA, however, they do not have a specific program for students; nor can I go to the Study Abroad office on my campus and say, "I'd like a program in studio art. I'm in ceramics." It just doesn't exist. I've just been getting led around in circles... so I'm forced to find my own program and hope that the art department approves it. It's really quite frustrating.

3 credits is a small number to take an entire semester off to acquire. Is this in addition to other academic credits for that semester....or is this all they allow to you to bring into your program of study overall?

Do you mean that there is no "Study Abroad" office at the college, or that there is nothing specific to ceramics offered?

Are you talking to the ceramics department chair and your advisor as your first line of information? Remember.... you are paying for their expertise.

Living outside your home country will be an invaluable experience for you as a human being and as an artist...... so by all means try to make this work. But evaluate things as to the relavence to your current situation carefully. Where to go is such a personal decision based upon your needs and interests; for one person China or Japan might be the exact correct choice........ for another it might be somewhere in Africa or India. The "right" school for one person might be the "wrong" school for another.

Once you make your decision..... give it 110% and wring it dry.

best,

......................john

3 credits is a small number to take an entire semester off to acquire. Is this in addition to other academic credits for that semester....or is this all they allow to you to bring into your program of study overall?

Do you mean that there is no "Study Abroad" office at the college, or that there is nothing specific to ceramics offered?

Are you talking to the ceramics department chair and your advisor as your first line of information? Remember.... you are paying for their expertise.

Living outside your home country will be an invaluable experience for you as a human being and as an artist...... so by all means try to make this work. But evaluate things as to the relavence to your current situation carefully. Where to go is such a personal decision based upon your needs and interests; for one person China or Japan might be the exact correct choice........ for another it might be somewhere in Africa or India. The "right" school for one person might be the "wrong" school for another.

Once you make your decision..... give it 110% and wring it dry.

best,

......................john

The 3 credits is all that is required of me to complete abroad. I will be taking this over the summer because I do not have the time to take off for a whole term - i would not graduate on time otherwise. So I'm specifically looking for summer programs at the moment.

There is a Study Abroad office at my University, they just don't have any art specific programs that they offer for my program... which is weird because you'd think they would since it's an option for my degree.

• 1 year later...

[/quote

I visited East Carolina University's program in Certaldo Alto in Tuscany while on the PC trip. Looked like an excellent program to me. Ceramics portion is at La Meridiana I believe.

Marcia

• 2 months later...

STUDY AT UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX

. Royal Chartered University -3 nobel prize winners

. Has researched links with IIT Delhi, IIM, Bangalore.

. Ranking amonst Top 100 in world, Top 15 in UK 250+ Indian Students study at Sussex each year

. Free help to students from Sussex offices In Mumbai(Thane,Andheri), Kolkata(Camac Street, Jodhpur Park), Chennai (Egmre), Delhi(Nehru Place), Pune (Sasoon Road), Hyderbad (Himayth Nagar)

. All Help from counseling , application, Accomodation, scholarship and visas!!!

University of Sussex

Archived