Moving table slab roller

Hello all, hoping for some advice on a slab roller i will build for my daughter.

Commercial slab rollers use two rollers to compress/stretch the clay to the desired thickness.  I am wondering if I could use one roller mounted over the top of a sliding table so the clay and table move beneath the roller. From a DIY approach this is easier for me to build than a two roller setup but I am not sure if it would work although I thought at some time in my research I did see a commercial slab roller utilising the one roller/sliding table design.  Cant now find it unfortunately as Google only wants to show me commercial rollers or one made with PVC rollers and wire guides. 

Hoping some of you experienced potters out there can advise.  Thanks in advance for any comments. 
cheers

Posted (edited)

Thank you for those replies, I appreciate your help. I had seen the roller using two pvc tubes and a clever wire connection allowing them to roll down the table but had decided against it as it didn’t quite fit  my ideas for the process.  However in looking again at that system i can see that it works quite well and actually answers my concerns about a moving table and stationery single roller. As after all what I am proposing is a moving table and stationery roller and the other is a moving roller and stationery table and it works so obviously the clay doesn’t mind what part is moving. I think i have my answer and will build it over the next few weeks. Cheers to all.

Edited by LeslieV

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tom, as asked I have attached a photo of the Slab Roller ready for testing but not yet tested.  For those interested my total cost to date for purchased items is $135.73.  However some of the bits I had in my inventory of odds and ends and some of the items (those in yellow) I designed and printed with my 3D printer - all were printed in PLA so not great for long extended use but OK for our very limited use. I have no estimate for the value of the bits I already had nor for the 3D printed parts.

If there is further interest I could make a video of it working-eventually.  There is a flaw in the design but I have a solution and as the flaw doesn't affect the rolling capability only the platform stability I will work on that at a later time.

PS. These images may be wrong orientation when posted but I cant work out how to rotate them?  They are correct in my PC folder.

Les

IMG_1247.jpg.c13460a2e8ed1662ea76ca020c5d30e4.jpgIMG_1248.jpg.0b88f608166929065d3b38f1a1745c69.jpg

Hi Peter and thank you for your comment. Yes indeed a gauge for height adjustment is required and is now in place. Well spotted it wasn’t in my photo  I just took a shot of the basic setup before I had installed the gauges for both sides. I considered linking the adjusters but decided against it for this simple design as getting them synchronized exactly could be quite difficult given the inherent slack in the connections cheers Les