What Temperature To Fire Paper Clay And Metal

Hi,

Could someone tell me the temperature to fire paper clay over metal? I have 12 coats of paper clay slip over 1/2 in hardware cloth. I have my first (used) kiln with a kilnsitter.

Thanks for your help

I have fired various metals placed into clay(cut nails, finishing nails) and successfully fired them to cone 05. They turn black but retain some strength. When fired hotter they tend to turn into black scale, like welding slag. I would keep the temperature below cone 1 for hardware cloth also. Good luck!

Thanks,

I did find something on Anthony Foo's site that said he fires chickenwire with paper clay to 04. That's what I'm doing going to try. I've put some bisque pieces under the wire piece, hoping it won't melt on my kiln floor. We'll see.

Thanks,

I did find something on Anthony Foo's site that said he fires chickenwire with paper clay to 04. That's what I'm doing going to try. I've put some bisque pieces under the wire piece, hoping it won't melt on my kiln floor. We'll see.

Hello ACG,

I've fired my paper clay coated hardware cloth and chicken wire mesh to bisque temperature (cone 06). At this temperature, the metal still holds its shape. Depending on how thickly you coat your metal mesh, there may be some twisting/moving of the structure due to the paper clay shrinking. I usually coat my mesh quite thick with my paper clay slip so I'm experiencing more movement from the bisque fire.

I've also tried firing at a higher temp. (Cone 5). At this temp. the metal melts completely and it will find ways to get out so it's not a good idea to go this high. The melted metal goo, which is black and foamy, will stick to anything it touches.

If you stick to the lower temps. it will be fine. For example, you can use low fire glazes on your bisque piece and fire to cone 06 in an electric kiln. I've tried raku but the extreme change in the temperature (in the post fire reduction) causes pieces to flake off.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

Archived