Test tiles

gypsy

Does everybody test a new glaze or do you jump right in and use it, hoping for the best? I bought some potter choice glazes and am going to do combinations...would you test? I think I posted this in the wrong forum...sorry.

Does everybody test a new glaze or do you jump right in and use it, hoping for the best? I bought some potter choice glazes and am going to do combinations...would you test? I think I posted this in the wrong forum...sorry.

gypsy, as every clay body is different, and glazes from each company are, testing is imperative. At least do a single dip of each color to see how they look on your clay, and then do combinations to check those out. Then play on your pots. Now that does not mean that testing could not be done on small formed or thrown pieces! However, test tiles can be arranged on a display board to allow for easy reference even though you may know the glazes.

gypsy, as every clay body is different, and glazes from each company are, testing is imperative. At least do a single dip of each color to see how they look on your clay, and then do combinations to check those out. Then play on your pots. Now that does not mean that testing could not be done on small formed or thrown pieces! However, test tiles can be arranged on a display board to allow for easy reference even though you may know the glazes.

Thankis!

I have a test kiln and I do a lot of glaze testing and glaze development. It is good to test new batches of mix if you are doing specific orders and need to match glazes for clients. If it doesn't matter so much and if you can put a test pot in a glaze load, then do it that way.

Marcia

I use a lot of the Potter's Choice glazes, and I am SO GLAD I did test tiles. Amaco has those handy combination sheets, but often times I've found that my results are totally different from theirs. Really great array of results though!

Archived