Sign in to follow this  
Marcia Selsor

wood fired raku kiln 1976-1980

I thought I'd start a new topic since it seems like a slow weekend. I posted one pic in the previous thread about raku kilns. here is a few more.

There are comments in the gallery with these photos under raku kilns.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=1954&do=view_album&album=130

This kiln fired on split 2 x 4 scrap from a truss manufacturer. We would gather the wood in a pickup truck.

There is a schematic drawing of this kiln in Steve Branfman's Raku; a Practical Approach , 2nd. Edition.

Marcia

post-1954-136594302275_thumb.jpg

post-1954-13659430485_thumb.jpg

post-1954-136594310908_thumb.jpg

post-1954-136594302275_thumb.jpg

post-1954-13659430485_thumb.jpg

post-1954-136594310908_thumb.jpg

This makes me wonder...does wood-fired raku have a different quality (visually/physically/aesthetically) than "cleaner" fueled raku?

I don't think there is much difference in the final results. You don't get fly ash as you would in a high fire wood kiln.

As for cleaner, this kiln was fired with scrap bits of 2 x 4 and fired very clean as in little smoke, no fossil fuels. I built it during the first Spring of teaching when I had a very limited budget of $175/year.

Marcia