Coloring Wax Resist

Hey there,

I am wanting to brush wax resist on bisqued pots (then brush on slip). Would coloring the wax with black iron oxide or RIO allow for crisp lines that will retain once the wax is burned off in the kiln (cone 6 electric)? Or is there another/better way that will allow that? Also, would this work applying to greenware? My thought was to add the above to a more oil based wax resist but figured I would ask if anyone had success with this before buying. I have been testing with stains and underglazes but still havent quite gotten the result I am looking for.

Thank you for any advice.

Aftosa makes a black wax resist just for this purpose ... check it out online.

I've tried to use this to darken carved lines on pots. The wax actually leaves a glaze-like residue (if applied with any thickness) and this can crack or split.

Thanks for the replies! That article is very informative, I will be sure to keep it a handy reference. One thing I need to clarify: Is red iron oxide stain food safe? I thought that since had no heavy metals that it was. Therefore, I have put them on some plates and my professor/others around me have not told me otherwise but please correct me if I'm wrong. I ask as in the recipe section of the article it says it is not but it is looped in with recipes with heavy metals.

I have seen the Aftosa wax, I think I may give that a test.

Archived