Creative people say NO

I was out walking my dog the other morning. I do this everyday. My neighbour stopped to talk. Another neighbour also joined us. They know each other. I didn't really know him. She said to him;"Now that you are retired, are you going to do a lot of golfing?"

I thought that was the most ridiculous idea I had ever heard. Can you imagine golfing for twenty years? It is also winter here for 5 months of the year. I didn't say this, but I thought it... What about building something-like a deck, a patio table, a storage shed, bunk beds for the grand kids.

After I shuffle off this mortal coil, I would not want my legacy to be;"He golfed a lot. A really lot."

No offense to golfers out there. I am just using this as a contrast to making something with your hands.

I make teapots. They really pour. They last 2000 years. What about you?

TJR.

It's all a matter of perspective. You feel all superior because you're a creative guy who makes things with his hands while the golfer produces nothing but a score on a piece of paper. BUT, from his perspective he's doing what he loves and you're just some guy with the silly hobby of making ceramic teapots that cost more but aren't nearly as nice as the glass ones he can buy at some upscale store. What a waste of time! Somebody needs to get Gollum out of his studio and onto a great big green golf course where he can find meaning for his poor, miserable life.

Jim

Jim;Made me laugh! Actually, I do look quite a bit like Gollum. If you could see it outside, you would cry. It is STILL snowing. No golf for buddy there. I am warm in my studio. Gollump [said like Gollum. Doesn't really translate to typing.]

Go hit the links, Jim.

TJR.blink.gif

I'm sure you don't look anything like Gollum and I've seen pictures of your teapots which look really nice (even when upside down). And, what's a little snow for the privilege of living in Canada. BTW, I've only played golf one time in my life and left in the middle of the game yelling some comment about it being one big ###### waste of time.

Jim

I knew you were kidding. My preshshcioshh... Has anyone seen my ring?laugh.gif

TJR.

I agree! Fabulous post Chris. Right now I am doing my taxes, and have to say "No" to the studio. All those little restaurant receipts and bills for clay.OMG.Two days sitting unfolding scraps of paper. I have said NO to matching the green plate from a broken dinner ware set.Or matching Belique pottery. It does get easier to say NO as we get older. Is it because time becomes more precious?

TJR.

I think you are very right when you say that it is easier to say NO when as we get older, I'm 41 now and still cant say NO. it is always YES of course i can make you a grampa mug!!!! lol....

I guess in a couple of years i will be saying No more often.

Archived