Clay types?

The closest suppliers to Cambridge, WI are A.R.T. in Sturtevant, or Paoli Clay, or Ceramic Supply Chicago in Evanston, IL or Great Lakes Clay in Elgin, IL. I'm not a big fan of any of then except Ceramic Supply Chicago. I buy about 25,000 pounds from them every year. What color clay are you looking for, brown or white?

The closest suppliers to Cambridge, WI are A.R.T. in Sturtevant, or Paoli Clay, or Ceramic Supply Chicago in Evanston, IL or Great Lakes Clay in Elgin, IL. I'm not a big fan of any of then except Ceramic Supply Chicago. I buy about 25,000 pounds from them every year. What color clay are you looking for, brown or white?

I believe you can order clay from/through NASCO in Fort Atkinson -- just a short drive from Cambridge.

http://www.enasco.com/action/solr/select?q=moist+clay&x=20&y=8

I have been trying out different cone 6 brown clays lately, I like:

Standard 112, medium brown with heavy speckles

Standard 266, very dark espresso brown

Highwater Brownstone, very similar to Standard 112, but can be had with or without speckles

Highwater Red Rock, reddish brown with speckles

Even if your local supplier does not have these specific clays, they probably buy clay from Standard and Highwater, and could probably order them for you.

Good luck!

Mea

Standard 112 is one of my all time favorite stoneware clays. Excellent stuff! They also have a non-speckled version. Ceramic Supply Chicago in Evanston carries Standard clays. IMO they are the best clays in the area by far. You could always make a day of it and spend the day in the city. When I lived in Iowa I used to drive 4 hours up to Minneapolis to get clay and we'd spend the day seeing the city.

Or I can get it in to my shop for you. I'll be placing an order in the next week. Im only about 1:40 from Cambridge. Just take Hwy 12 to Volo then take Hwy 120 about 10 miles east. I drive it each day for the pottery festival. It's a nice drive.

Archived