Pyrometer: Skutt 343 vs Fluke 50D?

Looking for opinions/input please.

I purchased a spankin' new Skutt model 343 dual input pyrometer last week.

It arrived a few days ago - still in the box, I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Today, there was a surprise in my mailbox! A friend sent me their old Fluke 50D pyrometer. She says she has only used it once.

It seems the 50D is no longer made, and I'm having a little trouble finding specs on it.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows the temp range of the Fluke 50d, and if you all have opinions (I expect so) on which pyrometer might be better?

I could potentially return the Skutt and put the money towards [propane or porcelain or, well, you know...

Or if the Skutt might be more accurate or reliable, I can keep the Fluke as a back-up/spare (she only wants a bit of clay in exchange).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Heres the specs for that Fluke

http://www.fluke.com...D.htm?PID=56087

I have 3 flukes and they are all older ones . Fluke is one of the top of the line meter makers. Yours is single input not a dual

so if dual thermocouples in the kiln is what you have you will need the dual input. If not fluke for me is the way to fly-

I do know the Skutts are fairly inexpensive and do not know who the maker is for skutt.

Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark!

Actually, this Fluke *is* a dualie! Even came with 2 K-type thermocouples that look as though they've never been used!

Sounds like I really lucked out. Will have to make something really special for my friend.

The skutt is actually a TPI instrument--decent meter--Ive used one for a number of woodfirings and been completely satisfied--they seem durable and relatively accurate--as accurate as I'd need in a a pyrometer...

Archived