DIY Magnetic Trimming Chuck

I am missing something. Why do you have to build the block, attach the magnets, etc. Why cannot you just use the magnet blocks like on the photo below? They are $0.99 a piece.

post-19169-136280160289_thumb.jpg

Where did you get these magnets?

Harbor Freight store, but they work only if you have a steel wheel. Otherwise follow John255 instructions.

http://www.harborfre...nets-97504.html

post-19169-136280160289_thumb.jpg

To all members who are thinking of building a Magnetic Trimmer,

My attempts to build simple extensions for trimming tall pots were complicated.

Another approach I use successfully is to throw a double-ended trimming chuck and bisque

it then center it on the mag-trim. (See photo) Dimensions are not critical.

I use a bulls-eye level to level the pot in the chuck. (This assumes your wheel is level.)

You could also buy a set of extensions from Bailey for about $16 and screw then to the mag-trim blocks.

http://www.baileypot.../quicktrim2.htm

Good luck with your Mag-trim, and let us know how it goes.

John255

post-23753-136320508291_thumb.jpeg

post-23753-136320508291_thumb.jpeg

John I received my quiche pan and then had to wait on the magnets, I haven't got started on this project yet I have another one that I'm trying to finish first. I always have a lot of projects to do, the only way I can stay organized is to finish one before I start another. Denice

• 4 months later...

When i was looking for the $0.99 magents, I noticed the sidebar saying that Harbor Freight is also a source for the neodymium magnets as well, 10 for $2.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-rare-earth-magnets-67488.html

The Harbor Freight magnets are a little larger, 5/16" diameter by 1/8" thick.  Unit price though they are over $0.03 more per unit, but you don't have to buy 30.  Unfortunately, they are packaged 10 to a package, so you would need two packs, but save $2.01 and still have spares.

John

I love this and will be building one soon. I but I am gonna cut up an old acrylic cutting board to make the blocks instead of using wood. seems like it will work just as well and moisture will never be an issue, not that it would be much of one by the trimming stage anyway.

Nigich22,

I can't see why the cutting board would not work if it's thick enough.

I have one set of blocks 3/4" thick and another set slightly thinner than 1/2".

I've used worn out acrylic cutting boards to make dies for extrusion, and they seem to work better than metal.

Good luck with your project.

John255

Archived