Does Anyone Here Do Kiln Openings

I have recently spoken with several potters who sell only through kiln openings. Several of us operate in a very rural area of Northern California. I was very surprised to find out that a very respected and successful pottery sells only through kiln oepnings. Does anyone here use kiln openings as a marketing strategy? I am a bit stumped as to how one would proceed. I have always used the more traditional systems of distribution such as galleries and retail outlets as well as Farmers' Markets and some studio sales. Now kiln openings, I suspect, may present peculiar problems of their own. What considerations do you take for the product mix for the kiln opening? Do you try to create a series of different price points? How close to the actual firing do you do the kiln opening? And of course my favorite catch-all phrase: what else do I need to know to have a successful kiln opening?ohmy.gif

Regards,

Charles

Since no one has answered yet ... I'll take a shot at it.

I had a very successful studio sale every thanksgiving for ten years and have attended

kiln openings as well ... They are not all that different.

First thing to know is that you don't have to actually open the kiln that day ... Many so called

Kiln openings are just sales of the latest work ... they are just held in the working area rather than

presented in the home or gallery.

Hope you've kept a mailing list of past clients to send invites to.

Have decent food, snacks and drinks on hand.

Have music of some kind playing.

Have a really good door prize that everyone will want to sign up for ...

these names will build up your mailing list for next time.

Have everything priced and have help with check out.

Take credit cards.

DONT wrap the pots in newspaper or old grocery bags!! Make them seem more special by using

more attractive choices.

As to price points ... Have a couple of expensive pieces as a showcase ... If they sell, great!

Have a lot of impulse range products ... You know your area of the country so you are the best judge of what

this is ... Price where someone can just decide to take two .... $20, $30, $40 are good for multiple

sales ..... Have some items in the gift price range too ... $75-$100

If you do a public sale like this, you will need to collect sales tax.

Don't worry ... This is not difficult or scary ... Just part of being serious about your business.

Once you collect taxes, you get to take deductions ... Bonus!

Good luck ... It's fun and you all will enjoy it.

NO! NO! Chris, please tell me it isn't so!

Another myth dashed on the rocks. In my naviete I believed that a kiln opening was actually the opening of the kiln after firing. I fully expected all the drama of Al Capone's Secret Vault with the ne'er before seen wares emerging from the crucible, created in the fires of chance. Now I find out the whole thing may be staged, a sham to dupe the unintiated: I'm mortified!

Actually while I had no idea, it makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint and elimiantes any possibiity of embarassment. Thank you very much for your comments. It sounds like it could be a fun project for our area's upcoming festivites over the Labor day weekend. The Mendocino Coast puts on a festival which includes open studio tours (www.northcoastartistsguild.com), and other special events put on by many of our inns and businesses to provide some tourist diversions. You have given me a lot of food for thought.

Best regards,

Charles

Actually while I had no idea, it makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint and elimiantes any possibiity of embarassment.

I, too, assumed that a "kiln opening" was literal. And wondered how you go about pricing pots that the potential customer sees the same moment you do... didn't turn out as well as you expected, or you got one that was unusually spectacular (a "racer" as some call them), and you have to decide what to charge, or even if you are going to sell it, on the spot? Not to mention pots that cracked, etc.

On the other hand, kiln opening customers would be serious "pot people" and you could probably get some "buying fever" going on, offer a too-high price and see how the bargaining goes... possibly get more for pots than if you just priced them and put them on the shelf. I dunno... I'm a complete novice at the sales end of things.

My kiln openings are a fun way to include the neighborhood and friends into the whole ceramics scene and make a partay of it. My band plays, my grand daughter is the Vana White and somehow everyone seems to take something home. My students get to see their work and decide if they want to sell it. No credit cards yet though... Oh and the food.. My wife is a chef nuff said. Oh and home made beer and mead. Can't go wrong. Even the cops stop by to tell us to turn it down...

Thanks for a morning laugh!

My family does not consider kiln openings to be "fun" events ....

They usually hide until they get the all clear signal.

I am frequently told that my idea of "Fun" is sick or perverse and frequently includes what many other people consider "work!" But I have discovered that the harder I work the luckier I get. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Charles

Archived