Plaster absorption with Murphy's soap

Hi everybody,

I am about to make my first plaster mold with a ceramic piece. I intend to use a thin coat of Murphy's soap onto the piece for easy release, but I am told that doing so could lower the absorption capacity of the plaster afterwards. Can someone shed light on the matter? Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this is the same as murphy's oil soap but

"Potter's Soap (potassium oleate) reacts with the plaster (calcium sulphate) to form calcium oleate, or a 'soap scum'. The 'scum' that forms on the surface creates a nonporous waxy film, sealing the plaster." - https://www.artcoinc.com/potterssoap.php#potters

No idea if that means you can't wash it off either.

Murphy's Oil Soap is an effective way to seal plaster, temporarily. Depending upon how it is applied it will sometimes just flake off the plaster surface after the plaster has dried. (No need for washing, in other words.)

Murphy's, like all soaps, develops a lattice structure only after it is lathered up and then allowed to dry. (After the suds/bubbles have been wiped away.) The drying creates the lattice structure that seals the surface.

If one is making a mold of a fired ceramic object, Murphy's doesn't really seal the surface. It sits on top. If the plaster is poured while the Murphy's is still wet it may absorb into the freshly poured surface.  If that happens the plaster may become weakened and may erode sooner than normal.

If I'm making a mold of something, other than plaster, and I'm unsure if it's completely nonporous, I will spray acrylic paint on the object. (That way I know the surface is sealed.)

In mold making, like all things creative, there are "rules" that can make the process more effective. On the other hand, like all things creative, one can break the rules and still have successful outcomes.