Have you seen a glaze like this

bigDave

Okay, I have done something like this, but the silver spots will probably be alot smaller and more numerous. So, first apply two to three thick coats of ms-95 peacock by laguna, let that dry then apply two to four thin coats of blue or light blue shino by coyote. These glazes are usually arround $15 a pint. Fire to cone 5 or 6 in oxidation. I hope this works out!

Darrel

Those are crystals of something. When molten they are in solution in the glaze, as it cools the glaze can't keep all that material melted and crystals grow. You see it in kaki type glazes where the iron forms crystals. In a different glaze the same amount of iron will stay in solution and lead to a temmoku glaze.

I agree that it looks like an oribe.

Guest JBaymore

The second picture (on the right) looks like an American Oribe-style glaze with a signifiacnt overabundance of copper in the melt. Add in some very slow cooling, and you get copper oxide stained (and surface oxidized...hence blackish) silicates percipitating on the surface.

Super-saturate a cone 5-6 clear glaze with about 5-7% copper carbonate and then slow the cooling of the kiln down.

The first image (left) looks quite bit different.

best,

...............john

Archived