Earthenware vs Stoneware

Hi All,

I have been using stoneware and enjoy using clay as a canvas and like to play with underglazes, stencils, screen prints, etc on both hand built and thrown pieces. However, many of the potters on Instagram whose work I admire are using earthenware. I am curious as to why some folks choose earthenware over stoneware. I could reach out to each of them and ask, but am wondering if anyone here has any insight. 

I like the idea of a quicker firing and reducing energy use, but earthenware is less durable, correct? And I don't see a difference in clay costs between earthenware and stoneware. 

Thanks!

Betty

There are differences in the two bodies beyond that simple temperature argument. There have been good and bad clay bodies in both clays, with the difference between a good body and a bad one like night and day.  I have worked with both earthenware and stoneware over the years handbuilding and throwing. For me the differences in the two clays was more in the feel, and the tooth of the clay,  the way it responded to my aggressive throwing style and my vision of handbuilt pottery. At the same time, I wished to have a more natural look with the clay that went beyond the surface of the glaze. I am not much of a painter when decorating my pieces wishing to use the pot surface as a landscape as a macro view of an area seeing the texture of plant, ground, and stone with a hint of historic artifact as in a link to the past. I also found that I liked the resounding ring of a piece of stoneware as compared to the thunk of earthenware. So in the end I chose stoneware for the HS situation where I worked, and also for my home studio.

best,

Pres 

They’ve both got pros and cons. Earthenware temps are a lot friendlier on kilns, elements will last longer. You can get really bright colors. Warping is less an issue because the clay doesn’t go through the pyroplastic stage stoneware does as it becomes vitrified. And it shrinks less. Some earthenware bodies are very strong, much stronger than bisqued stoneware. Fired to the upper end of their range they can rival stoneware in durability.

Then again, earthenware can get really hot in the microwave, if you’re unaware that’s potentially dangerous. It’s my biggest problem with it. 

If you’re making functional ware, the technical considerations are a bit different, and there’s a smaller window where a glaze will melt at earthenware temperatures and be durable. But there’s a lot of really good functional earthenware pots that come out of the Canadian Maritime provinces, especially Nova Scotia. It’s worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe earthenware is very good for sculpture. Yes, you can use glossy glazes and bright underglazes. They’ll stay bright and colorful because of the lower firing temperature. 

It will not be as strong as stoneware or porcelain fired to maturity, but that doesn’t mean it’s not strong.

Earthenware is usually only fired to bisque temperatures and is generally stronger than bisque fired stoneware. Taken just a cone or two hotter, some earthenware develops significantly higher strength.

Those 8000 terra cotta warriors are still around, I say earthenware for sculpture is a go.