Mother of pearl luster

Brendaboo

I glazed 3 elephants at cone 06 slow glaze setting, my kiln is vented, came out fine added the mother of pearl the next day and fired again at cone 06 this time I used fast glaze Pieces came out with a milky film and flaky please help is theree any way I can salvage them? Can the luster be removed without harming the glaze and start over?

Mother of Pearl Luster fires in the luster range of 018-019 usually. I think you may have over fired it. If it didn't burn off at ^06 maybe try firing it hotter, but then you go over the original glaze firing temperature. Not a good situation.

Marcia

The luster has turned milky and flaked, what cone temp should I use to fire it off there is some flaking but the luster seems to still be there. Is there a way to clean it after fring off the luster, then re-applying it, and the cone temp should be 018 for the mother of pearl? Thank you Marcia, Brenda

I would think it should have come off in a ^06 firing but it didn't. How high can your glaze go? That would be the first concern. If t is a ^06 glaze, you can't go much hotter than that and you have those results already.

Marcia

So I should try re firing at 06 cone o burn off the luster, then should I clean it and if so with what before reapplying the mother of pearl?

The pearl lustre i sometimes use fires at 018 and if it gets over fired it just completely burns off. Try refiring last should burn it off and try again. T

It has been sometime since I have done ceramics I fired the mother of pearl at cone 06 same as the glaze, was that my mistake? If firing once again at o6 will that burn off the luster so that it may be reapplied then fired to cone 018 ?

Archived