Mayco Stroke and Coat giving a pitted surface

MKG001

Hi!

I'm trying to create a smooth, glossy white surface with Mayco Stroke and Coat Cottontail on a light clay body, but the glaze is coming out rough and pitted. I used 3 coats of the glaze and fired to cone 5. I tried to brush it on nice and evenly. I've attached photos of the bisqued test-piece and the glazed surface. 

I'd greatly appreciate advice on this!

stroke-and-coat-bisque.jpeg

stroke-coat-problem-rot2.jpg

The rough areas look like it wasn't on thick enough. The pinholes could be from the firing schedule, poor bisque firing, or could just be from the texture of the clay itself. But start with dialing in  the application. Make sure you apply each coat of glaze with lots of glaze on your brush so it flows nicely, and apply each coat in the opposite direction of the previous coat. It takes practice, for sure.

Thanks for your suggestions! I didn't realize that the glaze results could be so dependent on brushing technique. I'm using a Hake brush, by the way.

Is dipping easier/more reliable?

Since you mentioned the firing, here are those details:

• The bisque firing was cone04 with Skutt defaults including a 1 hour preheat at 180F. It took about 16h to reach cone04, and I opened it probably another 16h later at about 125F. 
  • The glaze firing was a Skutt factory default "medium" to cone 5 and took 8 hours to reach the target temperature. I opened it at about 110F. 
Edited by MKG001

Something else that may help you is to get the surface smooth after you trim. It looks like you have grog raised above the rest of the surface, maybe from wiping with a sponge. Trimming can also drag grog across the clay and leave grooves and holes. After you trim, smooth your piece with a flexible rib (metal or silicone) to even out the trimming lines and push grog back down into the clay. 

This is a low fire glaze that will melt at 06, yet can be fired to cone 6 without dripping so likely high in alumina. My sense is your application is too thin. It’s hard not to have brush stroke lines and therefore brushing in multiple directions is the suggested. Your application almost looks smooth and sprayed.  Stir your glaze well, apply as shown in many of the videos on their website waiting for the previous coat to dry.

Glaze will not smooth everything, so the smoother your trimmed work the better. Metal ribs do a nice job of smoothing or burnishing smooth.

This may help
Take a look at this video https://youtu.be/hwUIxyTN3lg, she uses a hake brush and applies very liberally. Hake brushes are often used by artists for washes and are fine. Any brush that allows you to load and apply a smooth even heavy coat is fine. 

Mayco examples here https://youtu.be/YXCzbS1b9tA

Edited by Bill Kielb

The bisque piece looks like you sponged it over while it was greenware. The sandy surface is from wiping away the clay and leaves grog sticking out. Like Bill said, smooth surfaces with a rib or flat smooth tool and push the grog in. The gritty surface multiplies odds of glaze defects.

At cone 04 putting a layer of clear glaze on top of Stroke and Coat glazes has worked well for my students, but I have to say they use it on its own without problems too. None of them have played with it at cone 5/6, so that’s unknown territory for me. 

On 1/1/2023 at 6:06 PM, MKG001 said:

another white glaze

I find Coyote's cone 6 White MBG023, when applied as Neil described,  to look like a glossy white mug you might get at Target. I also find that Stroke & Coat is not that great for mid-fire and the results are not always consistent w/what the labeling says the 05 will look like at 5. 

A friend of mine who runs a paint your own pottery place uses Stroke and Coat for their underglaze colours, but she also covers all the pieces with a clear coat of glaze. Stroke and Coats can be a little on the dry/stiff side sometimes, and a zinc free clear glaze can help with that. The colours tend to be very stable, so if all you want is more gloss, that could be a very easy fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had good glossy results with Cotton Tail and other Mayco Stroke and Coat glazes up to cone 1, but more usually at 06 or 04.  Bodies were Clay Planet Low Fire White and its lightly sand/grogged low fire cousin San Jose White, last year's formulations.  I have had good results both as a sole body glaze (The Blues, Tuxedo black), and, for most colors in sample kits #1 and #3, in sort of Mishima technique with a clear overglaze of Mayco Crystal Clear Dipping glaze (brush applied).  Not a Mayco ad, but their sample kits are very handy for color patterning tests, and fun for coffee cups and small decorative items.