Alternative to standard 630

HighlandMeg

I realize this problem is a result of my port planning, but…I am trying to fulfill a wholesale order and need standard white stoneware 630, but the supply store I typically use is out of stock. I have a deadline and need the clay asap. To fulfill the rest of order and make it consistent with prior glaze results I need that clay or something very similar. Does anyone have a recommendation for a very similar clay that may have similar glaze results? Or does anyone in Chicago area have just 25lbs of 630 to sell to me? 

2 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

@neilestrick do you know someone who could help this person out?

Unfortunately, no. I've only got a box or two, and my classes start next week or I would sell her some of mine. I can't think of any of my customers that specifically use that clay body and would have enough to sell some.

6 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

@HighlandMeg Have you tried contacting Standard, to see if there are other dealers that might have some ?  I gotta think there's more than one clay supplier in the Chicago area that sells Standard clays.

I think that Ceramic Supply Chicago is the only shop that gets clay directly from Standard. Any other shops in the area that I know of buy from Ceramic Supply, and as far as I know they're just selling to their students.

@HighlandMeg ask Ceramic Supply Chicago if they know of any shops that will sell to you.

36 minutes ago, HighlandMeg said:

Thanks all! Ceramic supply Chicago is my usual supplier who is out of stock. I did contact them about a possible substitute and they recommended 240 or 182 with no guarantees, of course. I’m going to try 240g and hope for the best!! Thanks everyone. 

240 would be the best of those two. It is a lot smoother than the 630 and tends to s-crack a lot more. It's more of a yellow white rather than the gray white of the 630. 182 is the cone 10 version of 630, so it would be under-fired at cone 6.

I had the same problem and I went with Standard 563. All my glazes worked as well as it did on 630. 

563 shrinks a little more and vitrifies lower than 630. 563 also has porcelain grog which is why it costs more.

563 throws really nice

To my eye 630 is a bit gray

Edited by Clay17

I've got some 630, but in  I'm upstate NY so you'd might as well have it shipped from a distributor who has it in stock.  If you can't find any or an acceptable substitute, send me a PM and we can work something out.  Not sure of your time frame needs at this point, but I figured I'd offer.

Happy new year everyone.