4 prong kiln power cord to 3 prong?

I have what I believe to be a Skutt 181 kiln w/ Kiln Sitter. Here is the issue- I’m wanting to plug the kiln into the clothes dryer outlet which is the same amps. The problem is that the outlet is for a 3 prong head. The dryer is a 3 wire. The kiln is a 4 wire. I’d really love to have both with the same type of cord head (replacing the dryer cord head as well). 
Is this possible to do? What type of cord head would be best? The outlet is a really old style and could be updated.

Thank you so much!

You cannot change the kiln to a 3 wire prong. It needs the 4th wire because that model runs each section of the kiln on 120 volts. Each section gets a hot, they share the neutral, and you have to have a ground wire. You would have to pull a 4th wire and change the outlet and the dryer plug to a 4 prong. The other solution would be to rewire the kiln so the elements run on 240 volts.

Hi AngelaAngela,

My understanding is the Skutt 181 requires the fourth wire*.

The wire run to your dryer outlet may include the neutral.
If the wire is there, be sure to verify it is properly connected to the neutral bus (at the breaker panel).

Be sure the circuit's breaker is sized appropriately, very important!
Likely the existing breaker will need to be replaced with the correct size.

Here's a wiring diagram:
181.jpg.d2c22b143adec622cb56480ac5f39d3f.jpg

Note: the elements run on 120v - that's why the neutral leg is required. The diagram clearly depicts "Neutral Essential" and "4-Wire Power Cord"

*credit Dick White "Skutt 181 is nominally a 240V kiln, but operates the top and bottom sections separately, each on one 120V leg, and each needs a neutral. Hence, the 4 prongs: 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground."

Replacing a 3 prong cord with a 4 prong - Equipment Use and Repair - Ceramic Arts Daily Community

Edited by Hulk
what Neil said!