Mod Podge

cafedunier

Hi guys,

I have low fire clay that I want to use as functional pieces like a mug. I know you're supposed to use stoneware, but I get this clay for free, so I was wondering if I can seal the footing AFTER its fully fired with glaze... like after its cooled down and out of the kiln? Just Mod Podge (the dishwasher safe kind) the unglazed part of the footing that would otherwise allow moisture in? Do you think that would make it waterproof?

Let us know how it stands up it you use it.

Another option is to glaze the pots all over and fire on them on stilts. This means grinding little plucks of glaze from the stilts after firing. Or you  could use terra sigillata on the feet. It won't make them waterproof but will cut down on the absorption.  Or make some planters with it.

Edited by Min
grammar

14 hours ago, Min said:

Let us know how it stands up it you use it.

Another option is to glaze the pots all over and fire on them on stilts. This means grinding little plucks of glaze from the stilts after firing. Or you  could use terra sigillata on the feet. It won't make them waterproof but will cut down on the absorption.  Or make some planters with it.

Stilts, I never knew about that. Great to know, thank you, Min.  When I get better at pottery I will do tests and let you all know what happens with some experiments.