Creating Lava Glaze: Cone 10 at 5?

Ben xyz

Had read somewhere that a cone 10 glaze can be fired at cone 5 with the addition of Silicon Carbide (around 7%) in order to create a lava-type glaze. I’ll start with Chun Blue; also a Reitz Green one. Thoughts? Have had success with Marilee’s Lava recipe in the past with added Copper at cone 5. Thanks!

Thanks Neilestrick. I’m guessing the rational is that cone 10 glazes will not be able to reach an adequate melting point at 5, thus preventing them to smooth out. Just a guess - will need to locate the original source about this. Appreciate the correction in my math - the Marilee recipe was asking for 3.4 (not 7). Sounds like I could go even lower. Will now experiment with cone 6 glazes as well.  I’ve been enjoying looking at the ugly beauty of Fat Lava pottery coming out of West Germany during the 60’s and 70’s. Had nabbed a nice catalog from Mark Hill about this movement.

5 hours ago, Ben xyz said:

Appreciate the correction in my math - the Marilee recipe was asking for 3.4 (not 7).

6 hours ago, neilestrick said:

I've had glaze lava with less than 1/2 of 1%.

I think that there is some confusion/disagreement on the amount of SiC in Marilee’s Lava, possibly due to a historic typo.

Glazy gives +0.34 https://glazy.org/recipes/24043

While this paper gives +3.5 https://www.thestudiomanager.com/posts/tag/lava+glaze
Many recipes list the silicon carbide in this glaze as 0.34, but I’ve seen enough others arguing that was originally a typo many years ago, so I went with the 3.5% recipe.

Thanks Peter - I caught that as well. Since prior lava glazes I was using were too often brittle and fragile, I was glad to find Marilee’s formula at 3.5 Silicon Carbide worked well for me, along with the addition of 3% copper for color at cone 6 (shown). Currently awaiting Akiko’s Crater test results at cone 10 (2%  Silicon Carbide).

B31A014E-D0F8-4504-8629-2419CC1BDF42.jpeg.3fae877f2bc0a598792f034e5f34a9e5.jpeg