QotW: have you had to change any recipes or purchases because of supply chain issues?

@Min recently posed a question in the QotW pool concerning supply chain issues. 

Question of the Week would be have you had to change any recipes or purchases because of supply chain issues. I recently had to change the recipes for my glazes to use different frits. Glaze recipe I use the most used Ferro 3249 which is very expensive, I've redone the recipe using other frits because of the pandemic and supply chain issues and rising costs.

I (Pres) have not gotten into the pricing or availability of my glaze materials as I have supplies to last, other than talc which I am worried about. I am looking to buy some new shelves, as on my last trip to Pittsburg they did not have any 1/2 shelves for my kiln size. I figure it I can make a tip to Bailey I may pick some up.

QotW: have you had to change any recipes or purchases because of supply chain issues?

best,

Pres

One ceramic material you could buy cheap in Anchorage was Lincoln 60 fireclay. The local masonry supply sold it as firebrick mortar for decades. About a year ago they switched to a different (inferior) clay, some no-name clay from Ohio, poorly milled and smelling of sulfur. And they doubled the price. 

I had been using 20% Lincoln and Veegum with the local clay, so had to change that formula. After trying a couple of other clays I wound up just increasing the Veegum. 

• Pres unpinned this topic