Raku for Dummies

Pam S

I can recommend two. Raku, A Practical Approach, 2nd Edition by Steve Branfman and Alternative Kilns and Firing Techniques by Watkins and Wandless.

The first goes into history and a wealth of other information, including how to build and fire raku kilns, recipes, and other related techniques. The color plates are gorgeous and inspiring.

The second explores making a raku kiln, but also delves deeper into related techniques, saggars, pit fire and barrel fire, along with lots of pictures and recipes.

There are many others, but i can vouch for these two.

John

Pam- I think you'll also find that there's no replacement for sitting in on a Raku session. Little things like adjusting the oxygen flow on the burner and evaluating the maturity of the glaze- these make a lot more sense when you see them unfolding directly.

If you do a search on 'Raku Workshop' I'd almost guarantee that you'll find something in your area- it's such a popular and accessible firing technique...

Branfman's 2nd edition, Alternative Kilns and Firing Techniques by Watkins and Wandless, and also Advanced Raku by CM edited by Bill Jones.

Raku is a fast process and an excellent teaching tool for ceramics. Because it is such a fast process, you can experiment, and learn from those experiments.

Take a workshop or fire with others to learn from one another.

Marcia

Definitely attend at least one firing before trying it on your own. There you will note the rhythm necessary to make the firings go smoothly. When it's time to take the pots from kiln to the post firing reduction pots (I call them smudge pots) the moves are almost orchestrated to make sure things happen in order and without chaos.

If you can find a week long workshop, you'll get a good feel as to how a raku firing goes successfully. I often fire a load or two on my own, but it works a lot better with another pair of educated hands.

Shirley

Yes, both the books mentioned are almost the bibles for alternate firing methods.

Archived