Copyrights/ Trademarks

Can you experienced potters and ceramic artists please provide information on the simplest and most cost effective method to protect personal pottery designs? I am familiar with paintings and signatures which protect an artist, but do not know if the same will work for pottery design? Please help me out with this issue and thanks to all in advance for any assistance you may provide!

I think it's silly to try and "protect" your designs. I mean come on are you that good your pieces sale for thousands of dollars and need protection? You also have to consider what your going to do if you happen see someone copying your designs. Do you really plan and spending money suing every person that made anything similar to yours if not don't bother.

Guest Sherman

I think it's silly to try and "protect" your designs. I mean come on are you that good your pieces sale for thousands of dollars and need protection? You also have to consider what your going to do if you happen see someone copying your designs. Do you really plan and spending money suing every person that made anything similar to yours if not don't bother.

LGHT, I don't know anything about the work of the original poster, but the merit of the work or what it sells for is not at issue. We'd like to keep this forum constructive, and we appreciate your cooperation in that endeavor. In other words, if you can't say anything nice (or helpful), don't say anything.

MMFOWV, here is the best possible resource you are likely to find: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

and this one has a link to a PDF on how to copyright visual works of art: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/

Beyond that, all I know is that you automatically own the copyright to works you create. That said, proving it is difficult and the need to prove it is rare in the case of pottery or sculpture, which is why most folks don't bother registering each and every design or piece they make. The only way to really copyright is to register each design or specific work with the copyright office.

Sherman

Hello Sherman and thank you so much for your responsible and informative answer to my question. I now fully understand the legal process in regard to my question. Again, thank you for the assitance, for which I learned that I have been doing the correct procedure all along without knowing it!

LGHT

Everyone has different ideas on what the purpose of a forum is... but I agree with Sherman that one can offer their opinion on matters without using abusive language or a belittling tone. If you think that calling someone "silly" "Natzi" or "anal retentive" isn't harassing or abusive, then perhaps you have a higher tolerance to such name calling. Basically, if you keep it up, you will no longer be allowed to post anything.

Furthermore, as everyone is in different stages in their artistic career, no questions are "stupid." I can't imagine that you know everything there is to know, and like everyone would like to have a place where you could ask questions without worry of what other people might think. Copyright issues are a big deal out in the real world, so maybe this question came from someone who has had experience with it - so your lack of experience is more of what is shining through on this point. If you have something to say that, that's fine - just make sure you say something with out judging or name calling. K?

Leigh Taylor Mickleson

I'm glad that the direction of this forum has been established in no nonsense terms. Questions are just that and if you really don't want to answer the question don't respond. As far as the original poster goes it has been my experience over the years and with other intellectual properties that the copyright is only as good as the effort you wish to expend to protect it. I have seen where it is extremely expensive and frequently very difficult to protect a trademark/copyright. I'm not saying not to do it but in my opinion it should be worth the trouble. Enforcing the copyright/trademark rests solely with the owner.

Regards,

Charles

Archived