Older Kiln Struggling to reach Cone 6

16 minutes ago, cusher said:

Thanks all..  I will replace the elements and switch . Will keep updated. Still surprisingly expensive these parts!

The switch is likely good - still, not a very expensive renewal though and a good idea in case it is not very calibrated after years of use.. Keep the old one as a spare if you do replace. You are confident you measured infinity on element #2 and ALL your elements measured above 10% greater resistance. You definitely need elements.

• 1 month later...

So an update on this. There was one element that was broken I replaced it, I chipped out and did not buy all new elements for the rest of the levels, the Kim still would not reach cone six my concern is that because it’s so old,  Even if I replace the elements it will still not reach cone six..?

even if I replace the elements it will still not reach con six.

Paragon is no help their customer service is terrible it’s basically one person servicing the entire world. I had to get Cole so many times to get any information.

The max temp on the Kim says 2300 so therefore it should reach con six it has basically stalled out at 1600° every firing. It was wired professionally by an electrician so I don’t know what’s going on should I just make the gamble and spend the money on replacing all the elements? It’s quite expensive

On 5/28/2022 at 8:04 PM, Bill Kielb said:

The switch is likely good - still, not a very expensive renewal though and a good idea in case it is not very calibrated after years of use.. Keep the old one as a spare if you do replace. You are confident you measured infinity on element #2 and ALL your elements measured above 10% greater resistance. You definitely need elements.

Bill would you ever be willing to hop on a short call to discuss this further, I have found your advice very helpful.

With worn elements that were still heating it would get past 1600F. Stalling that early means there are elements not getting power, or not getting full power. Have you confirmed that all elements glow on high? If they all glow then it's possibly a switch that sticking randomly. Euclids probably has elements at a much better price.