b-mix cone 5 clay used for raku?

LilyT

If the B-Mix makes it through the stress of Raku firing you will end up with a pretty fragile piece. You need to use a clay the vitrified near the temperature you are firing at. Compared to a toothy raku clay B-Mix is not porous or strong, a good raku clay will give you good dependable results. Denice

Thanks, Denice, for your thoughts! I ask because at UCSD, we used to use a

regular cone 5 stoneware clay for raku (Bruce's white. It has sand, not grog in it

for wet strength), and it seemed to do ok. I still have some of the pieces

after 15 years, but I don't stress them much so I really can't speak to fragility.

I'm not really familiar with raku clays, I didn't even realize they vitrify at

raku temps... I would have thought that would make them more fragile during

the rapid cooling cycle (but maybe they mature without much cristabolite

at that temp). So if I try it, maybe I will do some informal strength tests.

Can I ask what clay you use for raku?

Thanks!

-Lily

I don't fire Raku any more but I had one semester in college where I did test firing of Raku clays and glazes daily. I was taught using the right clay for the firing temperature was extremely important as to glaze fit and durability. We have a Laguna Clay dealer here so I would buy the Laguna Raku clay I have thought about doing Naked Raku but their has been a burn ban for several years because of the drought and grass fires and no end in sight. We bought a fire pit table got to use it once and then fire pits were banned for the summer, guess I'll just stick to C6 oxidation. Denice

Archived