Hello!

I made a slip cast mold, 2 parts, just halves with pottery plaster 1. And waited 1 week after making the mold to try my first cast.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest so it's damp and still a little chilly for context.

I poured my clay in on Wednesday and it's Friday and still pretty wet. The mold itself I thought was dry but maybe it wasn't? I bought my casting slip and mixed it well. So I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Any tips or tricks or advice??

Thanks!

Hi @Mrae and welcome to the forum.

I also live on the Pacific Coast and there is no way a plaster mold would be dry enough to use after 1 week of drying. Did you use a dehumidifier to help dry it or ...? How did you determine it was dry? 

An easy way to determine if your mold is dry is whether it feels cold to the touch.  If its cold its still wet. If it isn't terribly cold than it most likely is dry.

Another factor that has an impact is what clay are you using? I find porcelain sets up really fast, stoneware not so much. Haven't poured earthenware in ages so don't remember.

Putting your mold in front of a fan helps alot. A little heat, but not alot, helps as well. (About as hot as a hair dryer on Medium setting.)

Archived