Recycling and fine clay particles

Nelly

Dear All,

I am not one to throw out clay. I use it out of the bag and if I don't like what I do, I reclaim it the old fashioned way (water, bucket, dry clay scraps, rest or slaking and rework it by drying it out in a dish towel sling). I do this because as a hobby potter I have the time and energy to put into this process.

What I noticed this summer was that slop water really adds to the texture of the final reclaimed clay. It is as though the fine particles in the slop bucket I keep by the wheel when I am throwing contains something that can be lost by simple reconstituiting it with tap water or in my case rain water.

For example, I noticed in the summer when I was trimming some pots made from reclaimed clay using rain water that they were not as smooth. I recall not using slop water for this batch. But this last time, when I used the slop water (i.e., the water that I throw with that accumulates with slop on my wheel), the trimming was smoother. The final product did not have a dry surface.

My conclusion is that there is something about the slop water. Mold growth? Fine clay particles that can be lost if you have say trimmed a piece close to a bone dry state?? I am not sure what but it definitely makes a better reclaimed clay product.

Nelly

Nelly - It's the 'fines' that make the clay more plastic. When you throw, and use water, you may notice that the slip that develops on your sponge doesn't have as much grog, or 'sandy' stuff in it as the body of your pot might. Often if you over-clean the lip or inside bottom you'll end up with a sandy finish. All the fines you wash off end up in your slop bucket. If you don't recycle those with your other recycle, you'll definitely end up with a less plastic clay. As you've already noticed!:rolleyes:

Alice

Nelly - It's the 'fines' that make the clay more plastic. When you throw, and use water, you may notice that the slip that develops on your sponge doesn't have as much grog, or 'sandy' stuff in it as the body of your pot might. Often if you over-clean the lip or inside bottom you'll end up with a sandy finish. All the fines you wash off end up in your slop bucket. If you don't recycle those with your other recycle, you'll definitely end up with a less plastic clay. As you've already noticed!:rolleyes:

Alice

Dear Alice,

Very interesting. I am wondering why I have never noticed this before?? I have never varied my process until recently. I am guessing the clay I used in the summer was reclaimed a few times not just once. Thus, the difference was even more significant.

I never thought about that before (i.e., the grit is the pot but the fine stuff is left on the sponge). Makes sense.

Thank you Alice.

Nelly

Nelley;

I use boxed clay, either Plainsman or Laguna. Usually it is too stiff to throw right out of the box, so I wedge my slop clay 50/50 with it, after I have dried the slops out. Sounds like a lot of work, but it is just the cut and slap wedging method. I save all my throwing water and my tool washing water in a slop bucket. When the pail is full, I dry the clay on a plaster bat and then double bag it. This clay is great, because it is aged and has all the fine particles still in it.

TJR.

Nelley;

I use boxed clay, either Plainsman or Laguna. Usually it is too stiff to throw right out of the box, so I wedge my slop clay 50/50 with it, after I have dried the slops out. Sounds like a lot of work, but it is just the cut and slap wedging method. I save all my throwing water and my tool washing water in a slop bucket. When the pail is full, I dry the clay on a plaster bat and then double bag it. This clay is great, because it is aged and has all the fine particles still in it.

TJR.

Dear All,

I am beginning to really appreciate the importance of the slop bucket. While my hands like the feel of fresh water when I am throwing, I like the final product of the reclaim with the slop. Last night I threw four large bowls that practically went up on their own. It was amazing clay. I could see and smell some blackish mold. I recall throwing my slop into the pail a week ago with the dry clay. Thus, I recall my process clearly. I did it differently last week for some reason??

I do agree that sometimes the clay is just too hard to throw right out of the box. When this happens I sometimes put a slightly moistened sponge in the bag to moisten it a bit. I do like the idea though of using the slop as an additional way to approach hard clay.

You know, I wonder how many people realize these fine particles are necessary?? It really does make a difference in the final product of reclaim.

Nelly

Nelley;

TJR.

Dear All,

I am beginning to really appreciate the importance of the slop bucket. While my hands like the feel of fresh water when I am throwing, I like the final product of the reclaim with the slop. Last night I threw four large bowls that practically went up on their own. It was amazing clay. I could see and smell some blackish mold. I recall throwing my slop into the pail a week ago with the dry clay. Thus, I recall my process clearly. I did it differently last week for some reason??

I do agree that sometimes the clay is just too hard to throw right out of the box. When this happens I sometimes put a slightly moistened sponge in the bag to moisten it a bit. I do like the idea though of using the slop as an additional way to approach hard clay.

You know, I wonder how many people realize these fine particles are necessary?? It really does make a difference in the final product of reclaim.

Nelly

Hello Nelly and others,

Thanks for this topic, I am starting a slop bucket tonight when I get home.....the slop is soft, thanks for the tips.

Edie

Archived