QotW: When was the last time you have had to repair your potters wheel?

Hi folks, again no question in the pool!!!! Hmmmpf!

I have posted that I had quite an ice freeze after flooding in the shop. I did not mention that my foot pedal to the CXC was in all of that ice and thawing water, completely!  I am letting it dry out naturally with heat, and then hope to try it out. This did get me to thinking, I have had that  wheel since the mid 80's, and NEVER done anything to it. It also makes me wonder :

QotW: When was the last time you have had to repair your potters wheel?

best,

Pres

Pres pull the bottom plate off that foot pedal and use a hair dryer on low on the potentiometer then let it sit 

I have 5-6 Brent wheels and one from the 70s needed a new curcuit board last year and a new power switch this year-that wheel is a model C and has run the longest here.

Still feeling lucky to have found a deal on a used wheel (pre-owned, it hadn't been used), several years remaining on original warrantee.

It needed a bat pin upgrade and a bit of commutator polishing, that was right after getting it home.
I went with stainless socket cap heads, washer, lock washer and wing nuts on t'other side, threads prepped with Permatex Never Sieze.
I didn't invest in a special tool for polishing; instead, a soft wooden stick with a piece of 600 grit sandpaper taped on there - there weren't any flat spots, ridges or grooves to clean up.

After working with it for a few years, I twiddled the controller adjustments a bit, wanting a smidge higher rpm at full gas, and a bit less of speed holding.

I bought a used Brent off of E Bay  four or five years ago.   The previous owner had replaced the motor but still couldn't throw very well on it,  he was a newbie.  When I got it home I noticed the foot pedal was out of adjustment.   It was so bad I thought I would have to buy another,  while researching on the internet I found easy directions to repair it.  It only took a few minutes,  I wonder if  he really needed that new motor he spent $400 on.     Denice

having lightning strike the power line did nothing good for my whole electrical menagerie.   the wheel suffered a stroke, had to replace the pedal.  the ceiling fans, the tv and i don't remember much else all were affected.   that lightning strike was about 30 feet from the studio.  that was back in the 1990s.   since then normal maintenance replacing belts on the wheel and elements in the kilns.   my daughter just re-did my L&L last summer, new elements, thermocouples and relays plus stainless screws to hold the control box on the kiln.  

• Pres unpinned this topic