How to Rapidly Change Slip Viscocity

I use mason stain colored slips in two viscosity ranges; near liquid and very thick.

Right now I only know to change the water content by adding directly or utilizing evaporation. Adding is easy but by evaporation can literally take days. This leaves me with having two sets of slips.

Colorant percentage complicates this even more. If I add clay body then I have to add colorant. 

Is there a way to move rapidly from thick to thin? A method of rapidly removing only water is the best solution. Heat/wind is the only accelerant for that I’m aware of. Are there other solutions?

1 hour ago, PeterH said:

More details about exactly what you are doing might help the experts give tailored  advice.

Meanwhile ... you can adjust the viscosity of slips without changing the water content.

What I'm doing is trying to find out if there is a method of quickly going back and forth on viscosity. And using flocculants or other chemicals to achieve it is a one way activity.  I don't think there is a solution. Just thought I'd ask in case someone had one to offer.

43 minutes ago, ThruTraffic said:

What I'm doing is trying to find out if there is a method of quickly going back and forth on viscosity. And using flocculants or other chemicals to achieve it is a one way activity.  I don't think there is a solution. Just thought I'd ask in case someone had one to offer.

actually in the video, John did explain the going back and forth.  But another option would be 2 or 3 containers of the appropriate thickness for each of your projects.  I personally like cottage cheese containers! :D

• 3 weeks later...

for small amounts that are too wet, a turkey baster and a gently tipped sideways bucket of slip can do a good job overnight.  the water stays on top and the baster removes the majority.   just had to do this.  the last bits of water go into an ear syringe.  

Archived