Stemless wineglass lip design - drips!

Hi all,

I've been playing with a stemless wineglass form. What I've noticed is that they tend to get wine residue on the outside after sipping. I'm guessing it's because of the inward angle of the lip? The lip is gently rounded. 

On mugs I don't see this issue, but my lips are angled outward there, so liquid would more easily run back in to the cup.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have recommendations to fix?

-Amanda

20210724_183244.jpg

i notice that the 3 are different, a little like papa bear, momma bear and baby bear.   the one in the foreground on the left in the photo goes outward more than the one in the middle and the one in the back is straight up at an angle.   which one leaks?

Might be interesting to try wine out of a thick-walled mug. Both the viscosity and surface tension of wine and and water differ quite significantly.

I think you would have already noticed, but the shape of the vessels might encourage sloshing.
th?id=OIP.tCTkAuFP2PXAo3fx-c5n1AHaFj%26p

I was thinking about this a bit more and wonder if you drank a non alcoholic drink from the same cups if the dribbling would be less. I was thinking of fluid dynamics and surface tension so did a quick search and came across the article below. Snippet from it is "...alcohol content at least as high as 13.5 percent. (That's because alcohol has a lower surface tension than water.) If you spread a thin film of water on your kitchen counter and place a single drop of alcohol in the center, you'll see the water flow outward, away from the alcohol. The difference in their alcohol concentrations creates a surface tension gradient, driving the flow."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/03/why-is-your-wine-crying-scientists-say-shock-waves-likely-play-a-role/

On 2/15/2022 at 4:41 AM, Min said:

I was thinking about this a bit more and wonder if you drank a non alcoholic drink from the same cups if the dribbling would be less. 

Was wondering where you were about to go with that opening statement:-))

Archived