QotW: Mixers: where do you get your recipes/formulas for glazing?

Last QotW I asked about types of glazers. I have been thinking lately about the abundance of resources for the wide variety of firing temps and atmospheres. When I first started doing cone 6 there were few formulations available for the temperature. Internet was not there, it was before the M^6 by John Hesselberth, Ron Roy . It was also before the Bill Van Gilder Wheel Thrown Pottery book. However one could carefully peruse issues of CM, PMI, and others to find some of the cone 6 glazes being used by potters. I started a small notebook of hand written glaze formulas in college, and kept with it off and on, but I was not very religious about it until I started setting up a spread sheet with all of the recipes/formulas that I used or might use. Now with the internet out there with Pinterest, Glazy and so many others, there is little reason not to mix your own glazes. My personal spread sheet has become more extensive as I put in formulas from books and these other resources, and yet even now I have gotten behind. I guess at times when you find a set up that works you stay with it not making changes unless you have to or force yourself to. 

QotW: Mixers: where do you get your recipes/formulas for glazing? 

best,

Pres

I have tons of recipes on file, but when my students request a glaze color/type that I don't already have a recipe for, I usually look online, usually Pinterest. It's an easy way to find a specific glaze color with links to recipes. I rarely use a recipe as I find it, but it's a good starting point. I'll tweak it for fit, melt, and color. There are so many recipes available online that it's not necessary to make a glaze from scratch.

I am of the find a base and adjust it so it does what I want school of thought. Since I use Plainsman clays, if I get my recipes from Digitalfire, more than half my work is already done. That said, I’ve been poking around Glazy a bit, especially because I’ve been looking at Joe Thompson’s work. He’s left some very generous information in his glaze notes. (That’s @OldForgeCreations)

My glaze book from collage will keep me busy for whole life and then some- most from my glaze and clay body class-then 4 years of school in glaze room

I have added a few from friends-traded for some

as well as a few from magazines-its always the same test to see what it does/looks like in my kiln atmosphere .

Photocopies o' glaze formula binder from local JC Ceramic lab (huge thanks to the instructor!); I ended up trying/using just one of the recipes, however, having the recipes to ponder, along with the fired results, priceless.

Bill van Gilder's book (via local library); Glaze-The Ultimate Ceramic Artist’s Guide to Glaze and Color, a book by Brian Taylor and Kate Doody (also local library); Hesselberth's website (FrogPondPottery, tested glazes; I haven't yet got my hands the book he wrote with Mr. Roy); Tony Hansen's website; Lakeside Pottery website; this forum.

Usage notes, history/strategy/development notes, results/images, test results, all helpful.
Mr. Hansen's website, great resource.
This forum, great resource.

Edited by Hulk

i have a three inch binder with recipes filed under colored tabs for the glaze recipes people have given me or i have asked for at studios.   went through it last year and found that many of them are duplicates from various sources.  they have the same recipe but a different name.   some work and some do not.  some are very dangerous for the potter to use.  i have tried many and others have just been sitting there untested.

min has given me the base recipe that i use for lots of colors.  all of the mason stains i own and the carbonates work in it beautifully.  she gave me the recipe that fits my particular clay so i thank her very much every time i use it.   

hulk....... vanGilder does not fire to cone 6.   he got the recipes from Phil Berneburg  who established Washington Street Studios about 6 miles from my house.   the rutile green recipe works with lots of colors as well.   the one called Oribe green does NOT pass the vinegar test.

Edited by oldlady

• Pres unpinned this topic