saggar firing

naghmeh

did you use any salt, sawdust and wood bits?

the salt help volitalize the oxides. I use mostly copper carbonate and salt. I also use copper nitrate that I get from the nursery supplies. it is a root killer but will blush well in a sagger. I put wood stick, newspaper and sawdust then put the coppers carb. And salt on the top. people berg has a good video on firing staggers and puts layers when he uses a garbage can for a saggar. Linda and Charlie Riggs use individual saggars per piece. They fire to 1600 F. And hold for 20 minutes. I don't know which method you were using. I have done both methods but always use saly and the oxide together in the layers.

Marcia

did you use any salt, sawdust and wood bits?

the salt help volitalize the oxides. I use mostly copper carbonate and salt. I also use copper nitrate that I get from the nursery supplies. it is a root killer but will blush well in a saggar.

Robert Peipenberg Has a good video for firing a garbage can or oil drum saggar. he layers wood, newspaper, sawdust salt and oxides. India and Charlie Riggs use individual saggaars per piece. THey fire to 1600 F. And hold for 20 minutes. I have used both methods. I am not sure which method you are using or if you had any combustibles or salt with the oxides. Please be a little more specific with what you were doing.

Marcia

my saggar is a vase 40cm hight and 3ocm diameter, 2cm thickness..... i lay oxides at the bottom and set my works and put sawdust between them, i didn't use salt...

do i use salt top of saggar????

do i put oxides in the special place or i can pour at the bottom of saggar and top of the works?????

do i hold in temperature?

if the cap of saggar is not closed correctly, may it cause any problem????

thank you

my saggar is a vase 40cm hight and 3ocm diameter, 2cm thickness..... i lay oxides at the bottom and set my works and put sawdust between them, i didn't use salt...

do i put oxides in the special place or i can pour at the bottom of saggar and top of the works?????

thank you

put the oxides in the sawdust and not on the bottom of the saggar. Mix the oxides with salt.put your pot on a chunk of brick above the combustibles.

You hold the temperature by cutting back on your fuel and watching it with a pyrometer.

The cap of the saggar should be tight.

Marcia

thank you

put the oxides in the sawdust and not on the bottom of the saggar. Mix the oxides with salt.put your pot on a chunk of brick above the combustibles.

You hold the temperature by cutting back on your fuel and watching it with a pyrometer.

The cap of the saggar should be tight.

Marcia

your descriptions are very nice and understandable, I'll do it surely... but in the last part, I have electric kiln, so the source of heat is scattered through all sides, how should I deal with this ?

thank you

your descriptions are very nice and understandable, I'll do it surely... but in the last part, I have electric kiln, so the source of heat is scattered through all sides, how should I deal with this ?

thank you

Unless you are willing to change your elements more frequently, do not use salts in an electric kiln. My friend , Russel Fouts , fires saggaars in electric kiln and has published articles about it. he does not use salts. Please google his articles. One is called "yes you can"

it was in Pottery Making illustrated. his website is mes-Potes

I fire mine in my raku kiln with gas.

the saggaars are sealed.

russel fires in his electric. has not change his elements in 15 years. Currently he is using a hard brick saggar and adds charcoal inside.

he has written about using aluminum foil to wrap pieces rather than using the traditional saggar idea. I think you would benefit to read some of his ideas.

Marcia

thank you

Unless you are willing to change your elements more frequently, do not use salts in an electric kiln. My friend , Russel Fouts , fires saggaars in electric kiln and has published articles about it. he does not use salts. Please google his articles. One is called "yes you can"

it was in Pottery Making illustrated. his website is mes-Potes

I fire mine in my raku kiln with gas.

the saggaars are sealed.

russel fires in his electric. has not change his elements in 15 years. Currently he is using a hard brick saggar and adds charcoal inside.

he has written about using aluminum foil to wrap pieces rather than using the traditional saggar idea. I think you would benefit to read some of his ideas.

Marcia

i get it... thank you for your help

• 11 months later...

Archived