Trouble w/ Cyanotype on Bisqueware

I have seen some photos of artists doing cyanotype on ceramic tiles and on vases.  I have been experimenting with trying to do the same thing but without success and I want to reach out to see if any of you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I'm using the Jacquard Cyanotype kit. I mix the sensitizer a few minutes before I use it.  I apply it to unglazed bisqueware in a dark room.  I allow it to dry.  After placing flowers on the sensitized surface, I then have exposed it to different light sources without sucess.  The first attempt was outside for 20 minutes followed by rinsing.  The results were that the samples all turned dark blue- no imagery was visible.  Attempt 2, I used a plant grow light with UV light in a dark closet- exposed for 20 minutes and rinsed with no visible imagery at any point.  I think that one was not enough UV light to print imagery.  Attempt 3, I used a black light in a dark closet.  Again I exposed it 20 minutes and then rinsed as indicated on the Jacquard Cyanotype instructions.  Initially, this one looked to be a success as I could see the flowers but 12 hours later, had also turned dark blue with no imagery visible.  Attempt 4, I repeated the same process in attempt 3 but allowed the sample tile to soak in water for 10 minutes.  Any idea as to why the images initially look promising with the white/blue contrast but then turn all blue after 12 hours?  Is it over exposure- should I leave the bisqueware in the dark for 12 hours?  I'm trying that tonight.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I think the wash-out isn't complete enough, and the remaining cyanotype continues to develop colour. Presumably a porous bisque surface presents greater wash-out problems than, say, paper. Especially if the cyanotype solution soaks in deeply.

Some ideas in
Tips for cyanotype printing on to ceramics
https://maverickbeyond.com/2020/09/06/tips-for-cyanotype-printing-on-to-ceramics/

@blackthornAny input?

Edited by PeterH

• 2 months later...

Did you get your cyanotype on ceramic to work?  I was having success with varnishing the tiles as soon as it dried. However - having issues with a new batch of tiles.  Can you tell me what kind of tiles you are using and where you purchased them?

@Becky B., the OP hasn't logged into the forum since early February, might want to send them a pm with your question. If you click on their name the members page comes up, click on the little envelope near the top of the page and follow the prompts. When you send a pm the recipient also gets an email letting them know of the pm.

Welcome to the forum.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2022 at 3:00 PM, lopezk20 said:

Thanks, PeterH.  I will extend my rinsing time and see if that helps.  

More ideas in

See wash, wash, wash at ~3min & earlier comments on painting thinly and quickly.

Edited by PeterH