slab spout pattern request

Can anyone share a teapot spout pattern or template?  I've searched on the internet and haven't been able to find one.  I'd like to make a spout with a belly,  like a thrown spout.  I've had thrown spouts "unwind" in the glaze fire and I think a handbuilt will avoid this problem and allow  me to make longer ewer-type spouts.

Thank you

Cynthia

• Min changed the title to slab spout pattern request
2 hours ago, Cline Campbell Pottery said:

I've had thrown spouts "unwind" in the glaze fire and I think a handbuilt will avoid this problem and allow  me to make longer ewer-type spouts.

If you leave the end of the spout squared off, rather than cut at an angle, then the twist won't really matter. It can change the look of the piece, but it's an option.

They actually continue to wind in the direction of the torque applied during throwing, not unwind. If you throw counter clockwise, the twist is clockwise as you look at the tip of the spout. Cutting the angle to about 5 o'clock works well with most teapot spouts, however a lot depends on the thickness, shape and length of the spout, as well as the type of clay.

Thank you, Min, for changing the subject typo.  The picture you posted is what I usually find when I'm searching for a template.  It hasn't been that helpful because the perspective is off, and I'd like the seam to be on the other side.  I've tried drafting my own pattern based  on this photo, to limited success.  I'm hoping for more options. 

Thanks again for helping

Cynthia

Just a thought. Maybe you could make a spout to your liking and then cut it on the side you want, flatten it back out and trace that on paper.  might take a bit of tweaking but it should get you where you want and its YOUR spout.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:28 AM, Babs said:

Good elephant is playing with this concept.

@GEP

I’m playing with a template that is very similar to Margaret Bohls’s. I’m not sure it’s possible to have the seam on the top, because the bottom profile is very curvy, while the top profile is much closer to a straight line. Anyhow, I have been thoroughly blending away the seam, because I don’t want that to be part of my design either.

My motivation for trying this is about better dribble control, but I also do not like the way a thrown spout will twist while firing. A dribble free spout needs to be bent downward and have a sharply pointed profile, therefore it matters when the profile twists more or less than expected. 

https://www.instagram.com/goodelephantpottery/p/CYcUhTUldRy/?utm_medium=copy_link

7 minutes ago, GEP said:

I’m playing with a template that is very similar to Margaret Bohls’s. I’m not sure it’s possible to have the seam on the top, because the bottom profile is very curvy, while the top profile is much closer to a straight line. Anyhow, I have been thoroughly blending away the seam, because I don’t want that to be part of my design either....

I was wondering about that, and also how thick the clay needs to be (as you presumably need to thin some of it to achieve the 3D curve).

1 hour ago, PeterH said:

I was wondering about that, and also how thick the clay needs to be (as you presumably need to thin some of it to achieve the 3D curve).

I’m using a 1/4 inch thick slab (roughly the same thickness as all of my pots, thrown and slab). This is enough clay to belly out the bulb part a bit. For the skinny end, where the wall thickness needs to be much thinner, I pinch the entire tube closed, form it into the curve I want, then open up the tube again with a hole puncher. 

Archived