Home made slab roller?

I have a Bailey that I bought 20 years that we built the table to go with it, that saved us some money you can always get your money back on a Bailey if you decide to sell it. I started using the slamming method then rolling it when I need a quick slab but for larger projects my Bailey is the only way to go. Denice

I think that slab roller was the start of Mr. Bailey's calling! I have used a Bailey and think it is , like most of his equiptment, outstanding.

My slab roller is an OLD Dick Blick etching press, all steel, micro vernier adjustments, double rollers, 4:1 ratio gears. Sweet! The only problem is that it is limited to 12 in. width for the slab. If we need a wider slab, we use the press to get the slab started, then finish with a rolling-pin. If folks ask around, they might find something similar. Worth a try.

Minde is made of a rolling pin and two strips of wood.biggrin.gif

Freak out!!! I have one just like that!

It's a very popular model. I see them everywhere. I got the upgrade with several sticks of different thickness. Well worth it!

hehee, I have several of these, 3 different lengths for various sizes I need to roll out. A brilliant inventtiontongue.gif

Tony Clennell and I were talking and he said he stopped using machine made slabs for rounded pieces when he realized that the vessels he made from them would fight bellying out. Overnight they would suck back in to straight. Clay memory at work. A slab roller sends a very strong message to your clay ... get flat and stay flat. I had the same problem with my vases but never made the connection he did.

Archived