Mold Making/Slip Casting in 2022

Happy to see a new category for those who like to cast clay objects.  I've been making molds, and pouring slip, since 1984 and I'm happy to offer advice when my experience will help.

Yesterday I took a bold step and fired my cone 6 porcelain pots to cone 8. (I wanted to tighten up the body.) They fired beautifully and the glaze, a cone 6 clear, stayed in place. 

As new work is produced I'll post pictures to show everyone the various things that can be made with molds and casting slip.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a design I've been working on for several years. Everything has been made using the molding/casting process. The piece is made using three molds. The collar is a five piece mold. The textured "flap" portion is a one piece mold, and the body of the purse is a five piece mold. The top slab/flap has a recess for the collar so it sits evenly. Another flap mold has a recess for a round collar.  The process took several years to develop as I designed each piece so that I can swap out different design elements.

This is the first of five different textures I'll use for this form. I have a smaller bump texture as well as several larger bump textures. I also have several ribbed textures.

IMAG4981 (2).jpg

Archived