Glossy gold glaze to add on commercial tiles

Hello to all,

I have a client that wants to have some additions of glossy gold or glossy bronze on already made industrial floor tiles that have matte antislip surface. They will use it for floor and this added gold color needs to be wear resistant.

It needs to be fired low. I tried a gold glaze test on those tiles at 1050°C in my pottery kiln but it changed the original colors of the tile a bit so that was too high temperature.

Maybe some glass enamels or glazes - I don't even know how this is called and where it is possible to buy. I know it melts at lower temperature.

Gold luster is probably not a good choice since it is not wear resistant.

Anybody knows a way to achieve this? 

If anyone knows anything about this please give me some advice. Thank you.

adding glaze to existing industrial tile is all done by trial and error with error wining out most of the time. Its easier to get the right industrial tile and being happy with that. Lusters are no good as they wear right off. Referring the matt tile will/may change color and matt texture as you have found out . There are limits and No is maybe your best option with the client. Let us know if you master this ask. After 50 years in this field No is often the best answer.

Enamel powder is also a low fusing tecnique and I think it also wears easy but is slightly stronger wearing than lusters. I do know if it will even fuse to a matte surface . I did some work as a kid with it on copper sheets and brass so its pretty low temp. If the matt  tile has texture gold or bronze paint can stay in the low spots but will wear off on the high spots. Best to get the right tile and not mess with it from the start.

3 hours ago, Yomama said:

Thank you both for commenting. I might try to add a thin layer of epoxy and see how this goes.

Just to make the obvious point that you don't want to compromise the non-slip surface, especially as it might have legal implications.

Hello! I work in for a industrial ceramic tile business, and I've been making glazes for about 2 years now. In my experience, firing any industrial tile over 750 or 800 C is going to change the color of it. Most of them are digitally printed, and the inks cannot withstand a 2nd firing higher than that. I've seen a lot of gold recipes on Glazy that are a cone 6, and even then, 750C is probably a luster over glaze temperature. After a google search, it shows that it's Cone 015. Quite low. Just wanted to help out with the temperature references, and maybe even help pass some knowledge on about commercial tile! I hope I'm not being redundant by saying no to this also.