Flower making advice

Hello! 

I am a student and I was recently given the assignment of creating two items that are realistic together as a clay sculpture. 

I am planning to making is something with flowers but I am struggling to find a flower that is easier to do because this is my first time creating realistic flowers with clay. 

Is there any suggestions on which flowers I should use and what techniques or tools I should utilize? 

Thank you for your help.... 

~Mochii

• Min changed the title to Flower making advice

I would go buy  some flowers at a store and take one apart and see how mother nature put them together.   You will probably only need a knife to cut out the patterns and your fingers to pinch and move the clay around.  Don't  take it to seriously, it will look more like a flower when you work with the clay relaxed and having fun.      Denice

Making the poppies - The Tower of London Remembers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58aX_EBwzr4

Details of @Chilly's version (4 pix)
https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/4938-img-0267/

How to make a cute wall flower decoration in clay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rZkx_9Qb4c

Lots of stuff on YouTube & google under making ceramic flowers

PS A great deal of the impact of the Tower of London poppies @Babs mentioned was because
- massed field poppies look a lot more spectacular than single ones
- the work wanted to give an idea of the scale of the slaughter during WW1
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNwcEn7oaW3viJBzcs0Um

Roses and calla lilies are easy to make, and they don't have lots of small details. You can google those for thorough instructions. 

Simple flowers like these won't need any other specific tools to create them. Just let them dry slowly over a couple of days to be sure they won't crack. 

As with most sculptural renditions of natural objects detail is important. I have done some flowers and other things in different ways. Many times the size of the reproduction is important when creating the piece.

For a larger flower size I would make it by using thin fresh slabs cut to shape. Start with the center part, stamen etc, build around this core slowly shaping each petal and holding at the base. while working larger petals as the flower gets larger.

If the flower is smaller in size, start with a damp ball of clay and use a wooden tool shaped for the job to form petals from the outside to the inside, then when the basic form is created use smaller wood tools to delineate each petal and complete the details.

A package of cheap chops sticks works really well to create tools that will help you shape these. Another resource may be cookie cutters of flower shapes to be cut into petal shapes after the cookie cutter has made the 4 or 5 petal flower.

best,

Pres

Archived