QotW: Handbuilders: What is your preferred method of construction.

Once again, a little late with the QotW, no new suggestions.  

Lately, I have been considering working in the house during the Winter months, handbuilding. I have done some things with slabs over the years, mostly combinations of wheel and slab, however some all slab.  I prefer slab work, as it in some ways approaches the time/refinement as throwing. The slabs don't require a lot of refinements, and the joins are usually simple and clean. Time to construct a piece can be a few hours, or several days depending on the intricacy of the form. I love creating imaginary buildings, castles, mountain cliffs and such . . .also easy to do. All of this makes me wonder what types of handbuilding others are doing: Slab, coil, pinch, extrusion, or other? 

QotW: Handbuilders: What is your preferred method of construction.

best,

Pres

Slab, coil, and pinch, and a fair amount of whacking things into shape (I use the term "shape" loosely-I'm not usually going for finesse or the precision of symmetry, except w/the herb markers/plant stakes. I use various wooden tools/hard surfaces (paddles, for example) as a significant component of my process.  Will occasionally use templates when I want more refined joins, say with a traditional box and lid. I also like excavating, and having a piece emerge from the reduction of mass from the inside out.

Edited by LeeU

Most all my handbuilt is slabs in plaster forms with add on press molded shell handles or onto oval plastic platter forms ,

or fish  forms which are my drawings on paper transfered  to slab then cut out of slabs and draped over mushed up newsprint (not printed really)

for salt kiln dogs its thrown forms altered and built onto with handbuilt arms or legs

all this is less than 10% of my output which is all wheel thrown work

Edited by Mark C.

I've come to realize that I like handbuilding maybe more than wheel throwing. Every class I've ever taken was on a wheel, so I just puttered with making things from slabs until I got the hang of it. Coil building looks interesting for making large items, but I fear I'd end up with a lumpy mess.

About 90% of what I make is thrown but for hand building my preferred method of construction is soft slab. I really enjoy getting a piece made to completion in one sitting and not having to come back to it to finish. Soft slab serving dishes for the most part. I went through a spell of mask making years ago (do we all do that at some point?) and some porcelain seashell and driftwood sculptures more recently just for a change of pace for which I made silicone press molds for crab, urchin, mussels etc. 

I make soft slab plates and trays, mostly slumped or humped.  But I have made some simple slab vases and houses that I turn into vases.  I agree with @Pres slab/handbuilding work can be covered and carefully put away to work on another day.  I have attempted slab cups and mugs without success.  That will go on my list for the future.  And I do not make as big a mess as I do with throwing!!  Slab work lends itself to surface design and like @Bam2015 that is a big draw for me.  

I have a handheld extruder that I use for large and small coils, testers, and occasionally handles.  But I have not made any coil work. 

• Pres unpinned this topic