QotW: All things considered, What coloring oxide would you not be able to work without?

No new questions in the pool, folks! 

QotW: All things considered, What coloring oxide would you not be able to work without?

My favorite oxide over the years has been the most simple. . . iron oxide. I like so many other oxides and their uses, but nearly everything I do has some bit of iron in it. It softens so many other oxides, and works well in washes over and under glazes, and I find it versatile in so many ways that I can not imagine being without it.

best,

Pres

I don't have any I can't work without because I don't have any that I use in the first place. I get mainstream commercial glazes such as Amaco's awesome Ancient Copper , or some w/cobalt, that do the job for me, to a modest extent. My days of  dealing at all with chemistry are long over, "halleluiah thank ya Jesus" as they say. There is such an amazing wonderful world to be had via that chemistry (coloration oxides, for example), but I am grateful just to be able to make what I want, when I want, if I want, in my own space, all by the simple click of an online "check out now" function! 

I'd like to respond to colorant (and leave oxide/other aside for now) - I like cobalt, copper, tin, chrome, rutile, zirconium, and some pre-made stuff (underglaze) as well, so far.

If I had to had to pick one, it would come down to tin/chrome (ya, that's two -> for shades o' red) or rutile (iron, titanium, and maybe some pinches o' other stuff, ya, it's not one either!).

2 hours ago, Pres said:

... as my question was about coloring oxides, but what the heck, I'm tolerant, and and answer is an answer! ...

Pres:  
Sodium (oxide) does effect the color on the clay bodies I use; 
therefore I consider the sodium based material to be a "colorant".  
applied as an aqueous mist sprayed on bisque ware will, as a minimum, change the "value" of the color of the sprayed regions, and as a maximum, will produce the orange color common to salt/soda firing.  Greatest effect is on stoneware that has some iron tinges when fired.  
sodium borates and phosphates also are "value" changers.  
I am more interested in contrasts between areas than producing a specific "spot" between infra red and ultra-violet in the visible light spectrum. 

18 hours ago, oldlady said:

would someone who is the chemical expert in your area please explain the difference between oxide and carbonate for those of us without your education?

oldlady:

Many of the ingredients that we use are carbonates (and/or other metallic based materials);  the carbonates are thermally decomposed to "oxides" during the firings.   

Water is a (di)hydrogen oxide.  Hydrogen carbonate is carbon dioxide dissolved in water.  other examples: Sodium carbonate (soda ash) is the material produced by the reaction of sodium oxide and carbon dioxide; calcium carbonate (whiting) is the material produced by the reaction of calcium oxide and carbon dioxide, ... and so on for other metal carbonates.  Each carbonate material will decompose to the metal oxide and carbon dioxide at its own specific temperature range. Hydrogen carbonate decomposes at below room temperature while other carbonates (sodium, calcium, cobalt, copper, ...) will need temperatures around and/or above cone 022 (~600 C).  

LT (Ik ben chemisch ingenieur)

Still stand by my previous above, and it is good to have one to educate others about chemistry. Did I ever mention here that I used to be a Chemistry major in the early college years, working as a lab assistant for all of the compounds needed for experiments the prof assigned. Left me with a healthy respect for chemicals, and an extreme dislike for equations!

best,

Pres

This question is kind of like asking who's your favourite child. Somedays one can be a "problem" child but on other days they can shine. For a glaze colourant /visual  texturizer I can't do without I'ld have to choose rutile, but then again not all rutile behaves as well as others so it too can be a problem child. As far as consistency goes cobalt has always done what it's supposed to do. 

On 11/28/2021 at 11:51 PM, oldlady said:

would someone who is the chemical expert in your area please explain the difference between oxide and carbonate for those of us without your education?

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-cobalt-oxide-and-cobalt-carbonate/

Read carefully @oldlady!  Test papers will be sent round later - lol. 

thank you, chilly and LT,  can't take the test yet, chilly.   the oddest thing happened.   your link led me to a great answer but someone put an ad about  prostate cancer with graphics all over that page.  i just did not have time to wade through the setup.  besides, i have 1000 things to do today before leaving for florida for the winter.  it is 2 degrees above freezing today.   

i will read the link when i get there and have a moment without a crisis.  

Edited by oldlady
correction

For me its not my favorite  glaze but my customers favorites and thats cobalt Oxide-its used  in 420 grams per batch in my simple black glaze which is used mostly as an underglaze with rutile base glaze over it. Its been published in CM a few times in my articles like the one in last October issue (2021) on Tumble stacking

I am more of an iron glaze liker but could not make a living with that color palette

I use alot of the higher purity iron these days .

Edited by Mark C.

Regarding oxide or carbonate, there was something about that tickling in my memory - thought it was well put, but couldn't remember any detail, nor the source*.
Sometime later, having swept through a few Tony Hansen articles, thought maybe in Peterson's book**, ah,
In Glazes chapter, under topic Colors, subtitle Metallic Oxides

"Natural metallic oxides that withstand kiln temperatures are few, so the palette is limited. ...some come to us in the form of carbonates; ...Carbonates are weaker in color than oxides because they have an added atom of carbon and three atoms of oxygen per atom of metal. (...accordingly cost less, usually).
...Salts of metals, such as chlorides, sulfates, and nitrates can also be used as colorants."

One could, and probably should look into how the various materials are safely handled, for some are more soluble, toxic, etc.

*I enjoy this forum! Initially, was looking for info on equipment, since, there are personalities, also interesting topics/information - stuff I wouldn't otherwise see/read/think about - maybe, gets me thinking, and even researching.

**The Craft and Art of Clay
Wherein, still the best explanation of unity, imo, and other stuff, including pictures.

Edited by Hulk
gram at i'call

3 hours ago, Denice said:

Is yellow ocher a  coloring oxide?   I have used it as a coloring oxide,  you have to use a large of percentage of it to get any color in a white glaze base.   Denice

Yes it is a coloring oxide. . yellow iron oxide. It is cheap, and weak. It appears yellow, but fires red by itself.  I use it in Richard's Nutmeg, a recipe I think I got from the Van Gilder book.

best,

Pres

• 1 month later...
  • Pres unpinned this topic