Underglaze under opaque or colored glaze

Hi! I want to write in the center of a small bowl that I've made. It has already been fired, but not glazed. Can I use a black underglaze pencil to write under a glaze and expect it to show up/ be legible? 

I was also thinking about writing with the pencil under clear glaze, but am worried that if I use opaque glaze at the top of the bowl it will drip down to the center and mix together. 

Thoughts? 

56 minutes ago, camalls said:

Hi! I want to write in the center of a small bowl that I've made. It has already been fired, but not glazed. Can I use a black underglaze pencil to write under a glaze and expect it to show up/ be legible? 

I was also thinking about writing with the pencil under clear glaze, but am worried that if I use opaque glaze at the top of the bowl it will drip down to the center and mix together. 

Thoughts? 

Are you familiar with the glaze you were wanting to put at the top of the bowl?  If you know if it's stable or runny, that could help with your decision.  I know from personal experience that putting clear over or under other glazes can give me a running effect.  And sometimes underglaze pencil will show up under more transparent glazes.  But I think this is something you will have to try in order to know for certain.

Roberta